Installation domain name

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Rocketrrt

Installation domain name

Post by Rocketrrt »

Hi,
I have new trial Zimbra collaboration Network edition.

I am new to Zimbra and Mail, although I have set an Apache James mail server and icebox mail server. I think my problem is domains. I have a name cheap domain (spears-research.com) at the name cheap site I have an MX record that sends all mail to my server( Apache and Icebox). My server name is linuxmail. I am not sure how to set this up. My server IP is 198.XX.XX.XX but to work with mail it is routed to 172.95.84.4 (external IP) if you ping the domain name it returns the 172 address. The e-mail address I need to use is the spears-research.com (ron.tidwell@spears-research.com.). What domain name should I use? Do I need to rename the server? I know there are probably stupid questions but I am not sure what to do. The last one I have tried linuxmail.spears-research.com. But this not correct as it wants ron.tidwell@linuxmail.spears-research.com.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Ron
leencenters

Re: Installation domain name

Post by leencenters »

I think you must rename domain
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Labsy »

Hey,
you need to setup your Zimbra server properly first. And a bit of understanding how mail flow works would come handy.

Your DNS servers for domain spears-research.com show, that mail is directed to mail.spears-research.com:
MX 10 mail.spears-research.com

Querying mail.spears-research.com returns IP 172.95.84.4, which I guerss is public IP of your Zimbra server.

So, any mail, addressed to anything@spears-research.com will go to that server.

Before further instructions, please elaborate what you meant by "My server IP is 198.XX.XX.XX but to work with mail it is routed to 172.95.84.4"?
Did you mean 192.168.x.x?
If not, then you might have 2 public IP addresses?
Or is there some routing involved?
Rocketrrt

Post by Rocketrrt »

Hi All,

I think I have this fixed.

Ron