Zimbra on a reseller or shared hosting account

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
impartial

Post by impartial »

Is it possible to install zimbra on my reseller account? It is a shared server but can this software be installed into one or any of my web hosting accounts?
Krishopper
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Krishopper »

Nope. Zimbra is not compatible with shared hosting accounts.
It requires a lot of resources and memory, so you will likely need a minimum of a powerful VPS -- recommended 2+GB of ram minimum if you are going to be running it in production.
impartial

Post by impartial »

Thanks for the timely and deffinate answer. I appreciate it
gigapros_admin

Re: Zimbra on a reseller or shared hosting account

Post by gigapros_admin »

Hello,

Could you please let us know if the situation is still the same or now Zimbra is available for shared hosting.
Could you please let us know how can we use Zimbra Open Source Edition in shared servers i.e. without having a pre-requisite to point MX record. Is there any KB available which we can follow for this.
stefaniu.criste
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.8_GA_1728 20180614052922 201806

Post by stefaniu.criste »

gigapros_admin wrote:Hello,

Could you please let us know if the situation is still the same or now Zimbra is available for shared hosting.
Could you please let us know how can we use Zimbra Open Source Edition in shared servers i.e. without having a pre-requisite to point MX record. Is there any KB available which we can follow for this.
No, you can not.

Some of the main reasons are
- on a shared account there already exists a running MTA (e.g. Exim, if you have cPanel), therefore Zimbra cannot run on the same TCP ports
- in the same logic, there already exists an IMAP server and a POP3 server on shared account (eg Dovecot, if using cPanel)
- most probable you will not be allowed to install JAVA prerequisites on a shared account

You can, however, run Zimbra on a virtual server (we have successfully tried VMware and OpenNebula platforms)
Stefaniu Criste - managing partner
Hangar Hosting - a safe place for your business
proudly delivering Zimbra services in Romania
gigapros_admin

Post by gigapros_admin »

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

What about sharing mailboxes with multiple clients with Zimbra open source edition. Is this possible? If yes then how.
Also if we use Ubuntu and no Cpanel then what will the situation.
gigapros_admin

Post by gigapros_admin »

Hello,

Further, also I need to know how can we create multiple email accounts for multiple domains with different login details of each account so that each client can use his own mailbox.

Thanks.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Further, also I need to know how can we create multiple email accounts for multiple domains with different login details of each account so that each client can use his own mailbox.

Thanks.
Zimbra has always been multi-tenant; that's how Zimbra BSPs (Business Service Providers) like us domicile multiple customers' domains on a single Zimbra hosting farm with one LDAP realm -- securely, so that one customer's email in domainA.com is totally separate from another customer's email in domainB.com.

What Zimbra doesn't do is play nicely with other software suites on the same server. Zimbra IMHO should really be thought of as an appliance where you get to do the install on a limited set of operating systems. Zimbra's components expect to be the only ones accessing specific ports on the server. Further, Zimbra is very sensitive to DNS being configured accurately. So, launching Zimbra as an application via cPanel on a shared server is really not possible.

Hope that helps,
Mark
gigapros_admin

Post by gigapros_admin »

Hello,

We are not willing to use Zimbra as an application via cPanel on a shared server.
We want to create multiple email accounts for multiple customer domains in order to provide different login details of each account to the respective client to access their own emails.
Since as per your reply this is actually possible with Zimbra Open Source Edition, could you please let me know if there is any KB available with the steps on how to setup this.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
stefaniu.criste
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.8_GA_1728 20180614052922 201806

Post by stefaniu.criste »

We are not willing to use Zimbra as an application via cPanel on a shared server.
We want to create multiple email accounts for multiple customer domains in order to provide different login details of each account to the respective client to access their own emails.
Since as per your reply this is actually possible with Zimbra Open Source Edition, could you please let me know if there is any KB available with the steps on how to setup this.

Thanks a lot for all your help.
All the information yoiu need is available at the following address
https://www.zimbra.com/documentation/

Look for the section called "Zimbra Collaboration 8.7 – Open Source Edition"
Stefaniu Criste - managing partner
Hangar Hosting - a safe place for your business
proudly delivering Zimbra services in Romania