My Notes for Installing Zimbra OSE on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

The Split DNS article should give you the information you need, you can also install webmin and use that to manage (and configure) your DNS server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

ericmachine and Bill, sorry for this post ....
For any chance, are you hijacking this thread?
ericmachine has valid questions and Bill, as always trying to help, had running out of this thread topic.
In my opinion among others, this is an excelent post regarding installation, i've used myself succesfully for multiple references.
ccelis
4414LHammonds
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by 4414LHammonds »

[quote user="ericmachine"]As for the configure DNS resolution step above, do you actually setup a new DNS servers for these IPs

or do I need to find out how to setup DNS by myself which is not covered in this tutorial?
Any help? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you have internal DNS servers already on your network, that is what these are referring to. If you do not, you don't need to worry about it. I included it because I do happen to have internal DNS servers (because of my Active Directory) as well as external DNS servers for outside resolution in case my internal servers go dark. Generally, it is much faster if you have at least one internal DNS server for your PCs to resolve domain names which is why I have them (well, that and you HAVE to have one for Active Directory).
In terms of setting up DNS servers for your servers/PCs, that is beyond the scope and purpose of this thread. There are probably over 100 ways to setup a DNS server on just about every OS out there.
EDIT: I think a DNS server is installed during the Zimbra installation (so it can process domain-to-IP quickly), so you might be able to point your PCs to the Zimbra server. Would need to verify that though. But this would be only for external name resolution...not for finding PCs and servers on your network.
@ccelis5215, hijacking? Nah, it's all good info and I'm sure others have similar questions going through their mind...or will at some point in the future. ;)
LHammonds
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Post by ccelis5215 »

LHammonds, as i said before a couple of times, i preciate a lot yours posts.
But, as a community member, i had to point directly about what it's about this post.
As you surely know, you (we) need to know the basics, you don't want pretend to know by answer with no background at all. You do have to do your work.
Finally, don't wanna make a rant of this... you are the OP.
ccelis.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="4414LHammonds"]EDIT: I think a DNS server is installed during the Zimbra installation (so it can process domain-to-IP quickly), so you might be able to point your PCs to the Zimbra server.[/QUOTE]No, that's not the case. Zimbra installs only it's own software into the /opt/zimbra directory structure and any external dependencies or additional software should be installed (and configured) by the server administrator.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
lucay

Post by lucay »

@LHammond

thanks for this detailed walk-through, I've managed to get my old postfix server migrated to vmware vsphere/ubuntu 1204+ zimbra 8 FOSS
Andre81

Post by Andre81 »

[quote user="ericmachine"]Hi Bill,
sorry to get you all confused.
for the much earlier question, yes I was looking at your recommended easydns (replacement of google dns, and my ISP dns blocks a lot of things).
the latter question is more referring to local dns (at office environment where my zimbra server will reside with my other servers). at this moment, i don't have any dns server.
any recommendations to configure internal dns server? I want to make sure all is configured properly before I follow the tutorial here.[/QUOTE]

Hi ericmachine, why you don't try to install NSD for your autoritative request (local network DNS) plus UNBOUND as a recursive DNS (all the world network)? In my opinion BIND is too much hungry of memory, and this solution can save memory consumpion...
A.
esatk

Post by esatk »

How to resize /boot partition?

Because boot partition size is 200MB, after some kernel upgrades, this are is full.

Also not in the LVG group for resize.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="esatk"]How to resize /boot partition?

Because boot partition size is 200MB, after some kernel upgrades, this are is full.

Also not in the LVG group for resize.[/QUOTE]I don't really know what your question has to do with this thread but why don't you just remove some of the older kernels that are installed?
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
esantos
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by esantos »

Booooooy! incredible well detailed, just in the nail.
Thanks to take the time to do this. PoKo.