My Notes for Installing Zimbra OSE on Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
ericmachine

Post by ericmachine »

Could I use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of my ISP DNS?
[quote user="4414LHammonds"]The "work" domain is specific to my Active Directory network. I cannot give any advice on other platforms I do not use or have experience with. Sorry.
Anyone with Internet access gets at least 2 DNS server provided by your ISP. If you do not see them already configured on your PCs, call your ISP and ask about their IP numbers.
Security is always a bit tricky. It is always a balancing act of budget/time/risk. There are always better ways of reducing security risks but you have to stay within your budget and time/skill to implement and support the security mechanisms. We have a hardware firewall and our employees get educated on safe practices since the best security in the world can be rendered useless if misused and mismanaged. Stopping automated attacks is one thing, stopping your employees from doing stupid stuff is a whole 'nother game entirely. I also have an identical server gets automated OS updates and lets me know I need to update the production server.
As for the new thread, I will post an update with a link to it on this thread when it is done. I'm still working on it at the moment but I don't get a lot of time to work on this (currently building an automated interface between hospitals to share data more efficiently than paper). Getting to play with MySQL, PHP and vsftpd.
LHammonds[/QUOTE]
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="ericmachine"]Could I use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of my ISP DNS?[/QUOTE]You can use any DNS servers you like (there's plenty of free ones on the 'net), it's your choice but I'd advise against using google servers - I've too often seen problems with those servers.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
ericmachine

Post by ericmachine »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]You can use any DNS servers you like (there's plenty of free ones on the 'net), it's your choice but I'd advise against using google servers - I've too often seen problems with those servers.[/QUOTE]
how about the free opendns? reliable?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="ericmachine"]how about the free opendns? reliable?[/QUOTE]I haven't used their service for many years, my DNS records are hosted by easyDNS and as a satisfied customer I'd always recommend their public servers. You can also review this (somewhat old) article: [url=Public DNS servers performance, worth the trouble? | WatchMouse Laboratories[/url]
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
ericmachine

Post by ericmachine »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]I haven't used their service for many years, my DNS records are hosted by easyDNS and as a satisfied customer I'd always recommend their public servers. You can also review this (somewhat old) article: [url=Public DNS servers performance, worth the trouble? | WatchMouse Laboratories[/url][/QUOTE]
noted and thanks. if i am staying outside US, like Malaysia. Will there be an issue using the public server DNS?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="ericmachine"]noted and thanks. if i am staying outside US, like Malaysia. Will there be an issue using the public server DNS?[/QUOTE]No there won't, those servers are world wide and the easydns ones are anycast (that means they'll get an answer from a local server for the DNS queries).
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
ericmachine

Post by ericmachine »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]No there won't, those servers are world wide and the easydns ones are anycast (that means they'll get an answer from a local server for the DNS queries).[/QUOTE]
Noted and thanks. Will use them now, replace google dns :)
ericmachine

Post by ericmachine »

As for the configure DNS resolution step above, do you actually setup a new DNS servers for these IPs

or do I need to find out how to setup DNS by myself which is not covered in this tutorial?
Any help? Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="ericmachine"]As for the configure DNS resolution step above, do you actually setup a new DNS servers for these IPs

or do I need to find out how to setup DNS by myself which is not covered in this tutorial?
Any help? Thanks.[/QUOTE]Perhaps we have our lines crossed here? I was assuming you were asking for public DNS resolvers (which I've given you) was that not the case? If you're asking for public DNS servers to host your records then they would be hosted (usually) by the company that's also hosting your domain name details, you can (probably) move them to any DNS hosting service you like and of course I'd recommend easyDNS.
If you're behind a NAT router then you'll need to configure a Split DNS to enable mail deliver to your server. If you don't understand how to configure external DNS or an internal DNS server then I'd suggest you start reading before trying to make any changes.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
ericmachine

Post by ericmachine »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Perhaps we have our lines crossed here? I was assuming you were asking for public DNS resolvers (which I've given you) was that not the case? If you're asking for public DNS servers to host your records then they would be hosted (usually) by the company that's also hosting your domain name details, you can (probably) move them to any DNS hosting service you like and of course I'd recommend easyDNS.
If you're behind a NAT router then you'll need to configure a Split DNS to enable mail deliver to your server. If you don't understand how to configure external DNS or an internal DNS server then I'd suggest you start reading before trying to make any changes.[/QUOTE]
Hi Bill,
sorry to get you all confused.
for the much earlier question, yes I was looking at your recommended easydns (replacement of google dns, and my ISP dns blocks a lot of things).
the latter question is more referring to local dns (at office environment where my zimbra server will reside with my other servers). at this moment, i don't have any dns server.
any recommendations to configure internal dns server? I want to make sure all is configured properly before I follow the tutorial here.