vmware-ha service in Zimbra 8 Beta

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

vmware-ha service in Zimbra 8 Beta

Postby pup_seba » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:22 am

Hi,
While upgrading from zimbra 7.0.2 to beta 8 (lab enviroment) I saw a new thing for me that is the VMware HA option in zimbra installation. I installed it and activated it in one of the 3 servers (proxy) and now it shows with a green checkmark in the admin console.
With the other 2 servers (mailboxes and ldap, etc) I tried to enable that service thru command line:
1) Checked that the service was installed

zmprov gs server_name | grep zimbraServiceInstalled

zimbraServiceInstalled: antivirus

zimbraServiceInstalled: antispam

zimbraServiceInstalled: archiving

zimbraServiceInstalled: logger

zimbraServiceInstalled: mailbox

zimbraServiceInstalled: memcached

zimbraServiceInstalled: mta

zimbraServiceInstalled: convertd

zimbraServiceInstalled: stats

zimbraServiceInstalled: vmware-ha

zimbraServiceInstalled: proxy

zimbraServiceInstalled: snmp

zimbraServiceInstalled: ldap

zimbraServiceInstalled: spell
2) Tried to enable the service

zmprov gs server_name +zimbraServiceEnabled vmware-ha
So, now it shows properly in the admin console but with a red cross.
3) Checked /var/log/zimbra.log with a "grep" in "vmware". The result is over and over this message

Aug 22 09:34:35 mail-3 zmconfigd[11693]: Command not defined for vmware-ha

Aug 22 09:34:45 mail-2 zmconfigd[23347]: service vmware-ha was enabled need to start

Aug 22 09:34:45 mail-2 zmconfigd[23347]: Sleeping...Configuration inconsistency detected (u'vmware-ha')

Aug 22 09:35:30 mail-1 zmconfigd[22366]: service vmware-ha was enabled need to start

Aug 22 09:35:30 mail-1 zmconfigd[22366]: Sleeping...Configuration inconsistency detected (u'vmware-ha')

Aug 22 09:35:36 mail-3 zmconfigd[11693]: Command not defined for vmware-ha

Aug 22 09:35:46 mail-2 zmconfigd[23347]: service vmware-ha was enabled need to start
Have no idea what could it be...I'm actually quite new with Zimbra so any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

elgreco81
PD: By the way, I read in the Admin guide from version 8 of Zimbra that this service enables application heartbeats for vmware failover. I thought that it was already accomplished by using VMware tools which I use in all my servers...was I wrong or with the use of this zimbra functionality vmware tools are no longer required for HA when the service crashes?

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”