first installation ZCS 5.0GA on centos 4.6 failed

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
phvt

Post by phvt »

Hi folks,
I'm having this issue on CentOS4 too.
With my system's Scalar::Util first in @INC, the simple test of perl -e 'use Scalar::Util "dualvar"'--as the zimbra user--works fine. (I re-installed with force install Scalar::Util, and put /usr/lib/perl5 as the first path of PERLLIB in ~zimbra/.bashrc).
With Zimbra's PERLLIB at the top of @INC, I get the XS error.
So, with this workaround of putting /usr/lib/perl5 into the Zimbra user environment (so my own List-Utils is used), I was able to get past this ldap configuration hurdle.
I'm not sure I should proceed with this workaround in production--you've bundled these modules with Zimbra for a reason. Would it be possible to include XSLoader in your distribution? That seems to be the source of the incompatibility; your List-Util build doesn't like my XSLoader. Suggestions welcome.
Paul
phvt

Post by phvt »

Clean install appears successful on a CentOS4.4 Virtuozzo OS template:
(pre-install: cpan force install XSLoader, cpan force install Scalar::Util)
1. ./install.sh -x

2. [script installs RPMs, sets up zimbra home]

3. Once you get to the configuration menu, open another shell and edit ~zimbra/.bashrc, inserting /usr/bin/perl5: in front of the PERLLIB path list.

4. Press "a" and wait :)
I would still like to see a better resolution to this, since I am not using the Scalar::Util that Zimbra installs.
quanah
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by quanah »

[quote user="phvt"]Hi folks,
I'm having this issue on CentOS4 too.

Would it be possible to include XSLoader in your distribution? That seems to be the source of the incompatibility; your List-Util build doesn't like my XSLoader. Suggestions welcome.

[/QUOTE]
Since we build and test Scalar::Util on RHEL4, I don't see how buliding and installing XSLoader on RHEL4 would solve the issue, either. The problem clearly stems from some incompatibility between CentOS4 and RHEL4. I'd expect the same or a similar issue to crop up if you tried using a RHEL4 built XSLoader on CentOS4 as well.
--Quanah
--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect, Symas http://www.symas.com/
OpenLDAP Core team http://www.openldap.org/project/
ojehle

Post by ojehle »

we have
CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
yum update to the latest release and we don't have the problem. Perhaps its fixed in the centos repos already
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

A don't want to throw gazoline on fire, but I just hit the issue on RHEL 4.6...
The system will be modified - continue? [No] yes

Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.01082008-115642.log

Setting local config values...done.

Setting up CA...done.

Creating SSL certificate...done.

Initializing ldap... is only avaliable with the XS version at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/IO/Socket/SSL.pm line 30

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/IO/Socket/SSL.pm line 30.

Compilation failed in require at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Net/LDAP.pm line 970.

FAILED (2)

ERROR

Configuration failed
Please address the error and re-run /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl to

complete the configuration.
Errors have been logged to /tmp/zmsetup.01082008-115642.log
[root@zimbra01 zcs-NETWORK-5.0.0_GA_1870.RHEL4.20071218174057# uname -a

Linux zimbra01.sudouest.com 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 11:51:05 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Manual installation of the module through cpan (plus copying it at the right place) solved the issue.
quanah
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by quanah »

Klug: Sounds like you had more than just the default Scalar::Util from RH installed, if you had to copy it to multiple locations.
I've verified the Zimbra installation on multiple versions of stock RHEL4 without issue.
--Quanah
--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
quanah
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by quanah »

[quote user="Zig"]Yes. I am using CentOS 4.6.
The test script fails.
The maybe it is version conflict problem.[/QUOTE]
I tested today on an installation of CentOS 4.6. I have no problems with Scalar::Util on the system or shipped with Zimbra.
--Quanah
--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
phvt

Post by phvt »

I currently believe my provider upgraded Perl to a version different than what CentOS4 usually includes, and I am working to resolve that. The rest of my install went fine and I'm Trialing away :)
soxfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by soxfan »

All these various posts about Scalar::Util on RHEL/CentOS 4/5 have my head absolutely spinning; not sure where to even post this question.
Can anyone tell me if there is anything that can be checked prior to attempting an upgrade to 5.0 which will tell me if it is likely that it will succeed or fail? I am currently running CentOS 4.6, which started out as a 4.3 (or maybe 4.4) system. It is fully updated and I'm not using any 3rd party repos or software, other than Zimbra. I ran the test.pl script that was posted previously in this thread and it did not produce any errors. I have not made any changes to .bashrc or anything like that to change the default paths for Perl.
I have another CentOS 4.6 box where I have done various upgrades and installs of 5.0, starting back with Beta 1 and I've never run into any issues. However, I'm still very wary of upgrading my production server, and despite the warnings I'm not inclined to changes the OS at this time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

John