[SOLVED] cannot send email to external domains

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by uxbod »

As ZCS is installed on a private IP you would be better using your ISPs mail server as a smarthost. Contact your ISP and ask them which server you can relay through and whether authentication is required to do it.
Bill Brock
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by Bill Brock »

Uxbod has a good point. However, if you don't want to do it that way you probably need an MX and A record on the DNS server of your hoster. It is possible your mail is being rejected because of this. I know my server would reject you.
partner

Post by partner »

Hi thanks for the tip.
I hav a few options for relaying my email, but if possible I would like to handle it myself, so this route would be a last esort.
I have aqcuired an account at dyndns, pointed the domain koloristik.nl to their nameservers and setup both a and mx records for the domain on their nameservers as well. The router at home automatically updates any change of ip with dyndns. So I think this point is covered.
Another route obviously is to change the zimbra config and use port 26 for smtp, still I would like to know, why I cannot get out using the default port. Experience tells me their are no shortcuts and solving this on a temp solution might bite e in the a$$ later on.
Thanks for your support and thoughts. I hope we can solve this issue.
partner

Post by partner »

Just a quick update with information received from my ISP (orange.fr)
They are indeed blocking any traffic outbound using port 25 or 119 and require for all home users that are on a dynamic IP range to relay outgoing mail using there relay host smtp.wanadoo.fr I will try and setup the relay as soon as I get home within few days.
That ends my search for handling outbound email from the local server. Reading Bills comments I think I will pass the idea to use port 26 instead since it wont change me sending from a dynamic IP range and run into all sorts of trouble further down the road with my emails getting stuck in spam mailboxes.
I am not yet sure how the relay host will handle smtp authentication but I will read and test uxbod's link to the zimbra wiki on smtp authentication found here
FYI, I managed to keep the correct hostname after reboot. For this I edited through yast the sysconfig settings to send the hostname during the boot cycle and deleting the 127.0.0.2 entry in /etc/hosts (syconfig keeps on changing this though but I will research this further on the OpenSUSE forums). As I am away from home for a couple of days I dont have the exact setting at hand but I will edit this as soon as I get home.

I won't forget neither to mark this topic as solved as soon as I succesfully completed the smtp relay ;)
partner

Post by partner »

Finally!
I am ready to use my zimbra server to handle all my email. Thank youall for making this available. I will for sure make my contribution to keep this open source community alive and pay it forward!
FYI, I followed the wike as per the link stated earlier. The WIKI though is a bit ambiguous aka not 100% clear to me. I cheked via nslookup if canonical and other were the same, since there was no canonical displayed I assumed they were the same. I had to change the config so plain login was accepted as per suggestion of the WIKI and now all is working for me. So proudly I mark this topic as [SOLVED]
erfant4rget

Re: [SOLVED] cannot send email to external domains

Post by erfant4rget »

partner wrote:Finally!
I am ready to use my zimbra server to handle all my email. Thank youall for making this available. I will for sure make my contribution to keep this open source community alive and pay it forward!
FYI, I followed the wike as per the link stated earlier. The WIKI though is a bit ambiguous aka not 100% clear to me. I cheked via nslookup if canonical and other were the same, since there was no canonical displayed I assumed they were the same. I had to change the config so plain login was accepted as per suggestion of the WIKI and now all is working for me. So proudly I mark this topic as [SOLVED]
what solution of this problem?