MacOS 10.6.x Snow Leopard + ZCS 6.x

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
bigmickt

Post by bigmickt »

[quote user="danielfarrelly"]Wouldn't put too much faith in Apple considering the Xserve is no longer in production. No word on whether or not OS X Server will even be released in the future. Seriously though, try one of the many linux distros that are supported by Zimbra.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure of the relevance of the comment about Xserve, companies add and remove hardware lines all the time. Also, Apple have actually committed to OS X Server (Snow Leopard Server) and are offering it pre-loaded on the Mac Pro and Mac Mini...

see http://images.apple.com/xserve/pdf/L422 ... _Guide.pdf
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by danielfarrelly »

Snow Leopard Server has been out for quite awhile, and Zimbra has yet to release a supported build for that platform. We use and love OS X (and OS X Server), but it doesn't seem to fit with Zimbra at this point.

The relevance of discontinuing the Xserve seems fair, considering it was their only true server platform. Forgive me if I don't think a Mac Mini running OS X Server is a suitable replacement for an Xserve.
crunch

Post by crunch »

I doubt Apple will leave OS X Server behind. They probably sold more Mac Mini Servers than they have XServes. It is a bit concerning but I still want an official word from Zimbra as to what their plans are so I can make some informed decisions.
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by danielfarrelly »

how many people will you need to support?
crunch

Post by crunch »

I'm already supporting 25 users in a Linux based Zimbra VM running on a Linux box. I'm just now downloading the Zimbra Appliance and will attempt to run that in VMware Fusion. That will be acceptable if it works out.
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by danielfarrelly »

isn't vmware fusion the desktop emulator? can i assume you're gonna try running os x with fusion handling a linux distro with zimbra?! that's kinda cool! kudos to you if it works.
crunch

Post by crunch »

If you download the VMX version it boots up perfectly in Fusion. It's currently working but I have some DNS issues to work out in my test environment. I don't see a problem with it so far, but I don't see anything easy about migrating my Network Edition accounts over yet.
danielfarrelly
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by danielfarrelly »

i gotta ask: what type of mac are you running