I have no own domain, just some accounts at GMX ... How do setup ZCS?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

I'm running my own private domain "gtds.lan" and have several email accounts like GertThiel at gmx.net or gertthiel at yahoo.com.
I have a linux box running Fetchmail, Cyrus IMAPd and Postfix. I fetch all my email account using fetchmail into my through Postfix IMAP account and send all messages through the publicly visibled SMTP servers (eg. mail.gmx.net).
How shall I set up ZCS to replace my Cyrus IMAPd installation?
TIA.
- Gert
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="GertThiel"]I'm running my own private domain "gtds.lan" and have several email accounts like GertThiel at gmx.net or gertthiel at yahoo.com.
I have a linux box running Fetchmail, Cyrus IMAPd and Postfix. I fetch all my email account using fetchmail into my through Postfix IMAP account and send all messages through the publicly visibled SMTP servers (eg. mail.gmx.net).
How shall I set up ZCS to replace my Cyrus IMAPd installation?
TIA.
- Gert[/QUOTE]
The short answer to this is that it's pretty much the same.
What you'll want to do is set up your fetchmail to hand the email to the ZCS postfix instance.
One issue is the rewriting of the destination address - if you hand the zcs mta an email for user@yahoo.com, it'll either get sent to yahoo or rejected, depending on your configuration - so you'll have to do the rewrite before you hand it off.
You could alias the accounts (user@yahoo -> user@gtds.lan) but I think that would require creating the yahoo.com domain on the zcs server - which may break outgoing mail.
I've not tested this config, but can play around with it on Monday, if you haven't resolved it by then.
GertThiel

Post by GertThiel »

[quote user="marcmac"]What you'll want to do is set up your fetchmail to hand the email to the ZCS postfix instance.[/QUOTE]

That will be no problem. It's more or less a copy the file matter.
[quote user="marcmac"]One issue is the rewriting of the destination address - if you hand the zcs mta an email for user@yahoo.com, it'll either get sent to yahoo or rejected, depending on your configuration - so you'll have to do the rewrite before you hand it off.
You could alias the accounts (user@yahoo -> user@gtds.lan) but I think that would require creating the yahoo.com domain on the zcs server - which may break outgoing mail.[/QUOTE]

This will break outgoing mail! I'm quite sure ZCS can't handle my config because it was designed with an other setup in mind.
I think you can implement such feature faster than I could ever.
Linsys

Post by Linsys »

I am using a free DNS service from DynDNS. My firewall ( IPCop ) automatically updates my ip address whenever my ISP changes it for any reason. This means the domain linsys.homeip.net or mail.linsys.homeip.net will always point to my home network no matter what the ip address is. At the moment I am using Postfix and Fetchmail and I can send and receive e-mails as if I own a domain. Only catch is that you must find a willing relay host, otherwise some of your emails will be rejected if the destination server performs a reverse lookup.
Currently, I am trying ditch the Postfix/Fetchmail setup for Zimbra/Fetchmail.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="Linsys"]I am using a free DNS service from DynDNS. My firewall ( IPCop ) automatically updates my ip address whenever my ISP changes it for any reason. This means the domain linsys.homeip.net or mail.linsys.homeip.net will always point to my home network no matter what the ip address is. At the moment I am using Postfix and Fetchmail and I can send and receive e-mails as if I own a domain. Only catch is that you must find a willing relay host, otherwise some of your emails will be rejected if the destination server performs a reverse lookup.
Currently, I am trying ditch the Postfix/Fetchmail setup for Zimbra.[/QUOTE]
One thing that will trip you up is our iptables redirection - you'll need to reinstall this (zmiptables -u; zmiptables -i) when your IP changes.
Linsys

Post by Linsys »

[quote user="marcmac"]One thing that will trip you up is our iptables redirection - you'll need to reinstall this (zmiptables -u; zmiptables -i) when your IP changes.[/QUOTE]
But the external IP address (the one that changes) is on another machine (gateway & firewall) that performs port forwarding to my mail server inside the LAN at 192.168.1.3 (this never changes). Zimbra will only be aware of this ip address [192.168.1.3] and not the external IP address. I stand to be corrected here.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Seems like you'll be ok then.
Linsys

Post by Linsys »

I hope then this solves GertThiel's problem. I haven't tested this since I still cannot get my Zimbra to run as described in another thread - Mailbox not starting on Fedora Core 3 .