"Server error encountered"

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
zorinlynx

Post by zorinlynx »

Hello folks,
I managed to get Zimbra installed successfully on a CentOS 4 system (RHEL4 clone) and it starts up and seems to run okay on the server side, but when I go to "Accounts -> mydomainname.com" and click "New" to add a user, I got a dialog box:
I see no error messages when Zimbra starts up, and I can't find any log files that have errors either.
I know the error is vague, and I'd like to find out what's causing it, but where do I even start debugging this? What can trigger that particular error? It's not a very useful message.
Zimbra looks like it has potential; please show me the path.
Thanks!
-John "Zorin" Flynn
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Can you try to create a user via the command line:

This">http://zimbra.com/downloads/zimbra_open ... ml#1022509
This will help us determine if it's a backend or frontend issue.
zorinlynx

Post by zorinlynx »

[quote user="14319KevinH"]Can you try to create a user via the command line:

This">http://zimbra.com/downloads/zimbra_open ... ml#1022509
This will help us determine if it's a backend or frontend issue.[/QUOTE]
[zimbra@simba ~]$ zmprov

prov> ca flynnj@simba.cs.fiu.edu

b858ca70-246e-11da-a8c8-1f02905fb019
Looks like it worked; my account now appears in the account list in the GUI, but I'm still getting the "Server error encountered" when I try to double-click on the account.
zorinlynx

Post by zorinlynx »

More info: The account I created can receive mail, and I can read mail using IMAP. I can also log into the normal user interface and read and send mail... So this is an issue with the administration interface specifically, it seems.
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by schemers »

Another thing that would help debug the problem is looking in /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log to see if there is a Java Exception in the log at the time the error happens in the admin console.
thanks, roland
zorinlynx

Post by zorinlynx »

[quote user="schemers"]Another thing that would help debug the problem is looking in /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log to see if there is a Java Exception in the log at the time the error happens in the admin console.
thanks, roland[/QUOTE]
Like I mentioned earlier, there's no sign of errors in that log. I wish I could provide information, but this is all I have.
If anyone has any other suggestions for tracking down the problem, chime in. Is there a way to start Zimbra or its components in "Super Verbose Debugging Mode" or similar?
-Z
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by schemers »

You could also try adding ?debug=1 to end of your admin URL. That will popup a client-side debug window (make sure you don't have popups blocked), which might have more information about the failure when it occurs.
roland
zorinlynx

Post by zorinlynx »

[quote user="schemers"]You could also try adding ?debug=1 to end of your admin URL. That will popup a client-side debug window (make sure you don't have popups blocked), which might have more information about the failure when it occurs.
roland[/QUOTE]
I tried the ?debug=1 and am not getting the client side debug window... Turned popup blocking completely off and still nothing.
-Z
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Try "$set:debug 1" in the account search bar. This shold trigger the debug window.