Support for Small Installs

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
WALoeIII

Post by WALoeIII »

I'm the entire IT department for my websites and family. I am really interested in using Zimba, but I want to make sure that I can install it. Right now I'm running Postfix with Maildirs and passing mail through procmail to Spamassassin before local delivery. On the client side I have Horde/IMP and courier-imap-ssl setup. Now I'd like to replace all this with Zimbra, however the same box also serves as my webserver and my development server. Will/Is there a way to install Zimbra without disrupting these services? (Apache/PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc) I am currently using Debian sarge, and many (all?) of these services are installed via apt-get. I have read the Debian thread, and it seems that progress towards a debian package (using existing packages) is in progress, but the format isn't clear (including packages in Zimbra or using them as dependencies). If somone could clarify what I should expect, and what kind of support the Zimbra Network will offer, I would be most appreciative.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="WALoeIII"]I'm the entire IT department for my websites and family. I am really interested in using Zimba, but I want to make sure that I can install it. Right now I'm running Postfix with Maildirs and passing mail through procmail to Spamassassin before local delivery. On the client side I have Horde/IMP and courier-imap-ssl setup. Now I'd like to replace all this with Zimbra, however the same box also serves as my webserver and my development server. Will/Is there a way to install Zimbra without disrupting these services? (Apache/PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc) I am currently using Debian sarge, and many (all?) of these services are installed via apt-get. I have read the Debian thread, and it seems that progress towards a debian package (using existing packages) is in progress, but the format isn't clear (including packages in Zimbra or using them as dependencies). If somone could clarify what I should expect, and what kind of support the Zimbra Network will offer, I would be most appreciative.[/QUOTE]
ZCS will conflict on port 80 and 443 (apache) and 3306 (mysql). Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem (aside from slowing down the system).
The port conflicts can be pretty easily gotten around, by changing the port mapping that we do (take a look at /opt/zimbra/bin/zmiptables). The debian install is a bit trickier, but portability is high on our list of priorities.
For smaller installs, the primary support mechanism will be these forums, which we at zimbra have committed to participating in so that we can better support our user base - because that's the best way we have to improving our software.
WALoeIII

Post by WALoeIII »

[quote user="marcmac"]ZCS will conflict on port 80 and 443 (apache) and 3306 (mysql). Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem (aside from slowing down the system).
The port conflicts can be pretty easily gotten around, by changing the port mapping that we do (take a look at /opt/zimbra/bin/zmiptables). The debian install is a bit trickier, but portability is high on our list of priorities.
For smaller installs, the primary support mechanism will be these forums, which we at zimbra have committed to participating in so that we can better support our user base - because that's the best way we have to improving our software.[/QUOTE]
Can I get a little hint on how to get around these port conflicts? Could I just configure Zimbra to use other ports?
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="WALoeIII"]Can I get a little hint on how to get around these port conflicts? Could I just configure Zimbra to use other ports?[/QUOTE]
The ports are forwarded by /opt/zimbra/bin/zmiptables - you'll see a MAPPING at the top of the script:
my %MAPPING = (

80 => 7070, # HTTP

443 => 7443, # HTTS

389 => 7389, # LDAP

25 => 7075, # SMTP

143 => 7143, # IMAP

993 => 7993, # IMAP - SSL

110 => 7110, # POP

995 => 7995, # POP - SSL

);
So, to change the http port, change the '80' to something else, and run /opt/zimbra/bin/zmiptables -i as the root user.
To change the mysql port:
(as zimbra user)

mysql.server stop

zmlocalconfig -e mysql_port=

zmmycnf

mysql.server start
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

missed one thing - the zmmycnf command writes to stdout, so you want:
zmmycnf > /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf
stoker

Post by stoker »

Zimbra worked fine using port 443, however we have another https server, so i followed your directions to change the https port for zimbra to 5443 and 4443. The server displayed the login screen, but during login I get a dialog informing that the server refused the connection. I there another step I am missing. The iptables show ports accepted and redirected.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

443 => 7443, # HTTS
So this mappgin you made:
4443 => 7443, # HTTS
(ie you didn't change the 7443 which is where the server is actually running.)
stoker

Post by stoker »

I changed
443 => 7443, htts
to
5443 => 7443, htts

and

4443 => 7443, htts
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Only thing I can think of is that our login page is redirecting you internally and dropping the 5443 port to use 443.
Did you change the value in:
/opt/zimbra/tomcat/webapps/zimbra/WEB-INF/web.xml
httpsPort>

This controls the redirect in the Login.jsp.
stoker

Post by stoker »

That did not fix zimbra. When I changed web.xml file the web server refused the connection on both 5443 and 443. I went back to the default setup in the two files and zimbra works like a champ. Do I need to modify the MySql server if I change the web server port. I have Zimbra set up in Single Server mode on an FC3 server, so I don't anticipate a conflict with our present MySql server.