Best way to setup domains

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
alohrer

Post by alohrer »

I'm not quite sure how to explain what I'm wanting to do but here it goes. I want to create a domain abc.com. I want webmail accessible via internet over SSL at https://webmail.abc.com. However, I want people's email address to read bob@abc.com not bob@mail.abc.com. Let me know what you think. I've already have this installed, just looking for advice.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

Should be easy. Just set up DNS so webmail.abc.com and abc.com point at the Zimbra server. Also make sure you have a Mx record for abc.com pointing to the Zimbra IP. When you install create the mail domain of abc.com
alohrer

Post by alohrer »

I figured as much, but being new to setting up a mail server I figured I'd ask people who know more about it. Again, thanks for such prompt responses.
drogers
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by drogers »

What about that bug regarding setting up abc.com when subdomain.abc.com is already set up...did anyone work around that yet?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="drogers"]What about that bug regarding setting up abc.com when subdomain.abc.com is already set up...did anyone work around that yet?[/QUOTE]
You need to delete subdomain.abc.com first. If you need to move users then you'll need to create a new dummy domain like foo.com and move the user's there, then delete subdomain.abc.com and finally create abc.com
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by schemers »

It is also possible to create the middle domain via LDAP commands only. Something like the following should work:
modify this entry:

dn: dc=abc,dc=com

objectClass: zimbraDomain

zimbraId: 98c40334-952f-49e2-b54a-cf81811e1ac6

zimbraDomainName: abc.com

zimbraDomainType: local

zimbraMailStatus: enabled

The zimbraId should be globally unique. Using the above should be fine.
create this entry:

dn: ou=people,dc=abc,dc=com

objectclass: organizationalRole

ou: people

That is all that is needed to turn the existing "dc=abc,dc=com" entry into a recognized Zimbra domain. You'll probably need to restart tomcat as well.
The bug is fixed in the next release.
roland
drogers
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by drogers »

ok. i just made a temp domain, and then i went to delete the admin@curley.quirkservice.com user, and now i can't log in to the control panel. i didn't see a place to make admin@foo.com (the temp domain) an admin, so i figured it was an admin by default. guess not.
any ideas? is there a command line method to add an admin?
schemers
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by schemers »

This should do it:

zmprov ma admin@foo.com zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE

You might need to restart tomcat for that to take effect...
roland