Cobalt Raq4 install?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
dsweet

Cobalt Raq4 install?

Post by dsweet »

I have read many posts on virtual hosting but did not find any that indicated they had tried to install on a Cobalt RAQ server. I have a back up server that I would like to try it on but am a little confused on where to start. The Cobalt is fairly Dummy proof on it's own. I would like to be able to host and rune the Zimba server from the same machine. is this a reality? I am very impressed with the demo and am sure that clients would be also. I read the basic install instructions but it was still foggy to me if it would be possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

D.Sweet :)
andreychek
Advanced member
Advanced member

Cobalt Raq4 install?

Post by andreychek »

[quote user="dsweet"]I have read many posts on virtual hosting but did not find any that indicated they had tried to install on a Cobalt RAQ server. I have a back up server that I would like to try it on but am a little confused on where to start. The Cobalt is fairly Dummy proof on it's own. I would like to be able to host and rune the Zimba server from the same machine. is this a reality?[/QUOTE]

So far as I know (meaning, I've just read this in a few places, I don't actually own a Cobalt :-), the Cobalts are based on an older version of RedHat.
What that means is that the binary packages for Zimbra that are provided are unlikely to work, since Zimbra is officially supported on RedHat Enterprise 4 and Fedora Core 3 (which are both considered fairly new).
However, there are still some possibilities for you:
* Since it's based on RedHat, it might not be all that hard to get the source for Zimbra and compile it on your Cobalt.
* There are instructions in various places around the Net about how to put RedHat onto your Cobalt. They are clear that this void the warranty, but if that doesn't bother you, and you don't mind losing all the software that comes with the Cobalt, that could work.
* It's remotely possible that the RPM's could be made to work with only a few tweaks to existing libraries. It only takes 2 symlinks to make Zimbra work on Fedora Core 4, for instance. But again, this one is a long shot :-)
Have a good one,

-Eric