Can I use my laptop for Zimbra

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
nazeeronline

Post by nazeeronline »

Hello,
As I said, I am from INDIA, and There is huge power problem here. What I was planning, is whether I can run the ZCS on my Laptop.
The configuration is :

HP NX 5000 Business Notebook.

Intel Centrino 1.5 Ghz.

256MB RAM

30 Gig HDD

and all other things are normal.
I get a backup of around 5-6 Hours in my laptop and have a big UPS too.. so I was wondering if Its feasible to run it on a Laptop..
I know the performance will be slow, but I am harly expecting many users connecting concurrently.
My Net connection is 256kbps.
Awaiting your reply
Nazeer
fredo

Post by fredo »

Sure you could but would your laptop be running 100% of the time ?? :confused: And you could still go with more memory if you intend to use your laptop for development work.
rsharpe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by rsharpe »

If you have a big UPS why can't you use a proper server?
Dux T
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by Dux T »

[quote user="nazeeronline"]Hello,
As I said, I am from INDIA, and There is huge power problem here. What I was planning, is whether I can run the ZCS on my Laptop.
The configuration is :

HP NX 5000 Business Notebook.

Intel Centrino 1.5 Ghz.

256MB RAM

30 Gig HDD

and all other things are normal.
I get a backup of around 5-6 Hours in my laptop and have a big UPS too.. so I was wondering if Its feasible to run it on a Laptop..
I know the performance will be slow, but I am harly expecting many users connecting concurrently.
My Net connection is 256kbps.
Awaiting your reply
Nazeer[/QUOTE]

I ran production on a laptop but you REALLY need as much RAM as you can cram into your system, I had several users but I was barely getting by with 1GB of RAM. The Hard drive is something else to consider, email is very disk intensive and most laptop hard drives are slower than full size drives and may not last with all the I/O they have to go through.
In a pinch you can get by with your laptop but if your planning something long term you might be better off with a headless cheap box and faith in your UPS