loops back to myself

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
stevegarriques

loops back to myself

Post by stevegarriques »

behind a firewall but no don't have a SPLIT-DNS setup / never done it before
But, We do have a internal DNS server that the zimbra server resolves to, I really don't want to setup ANOTHER DNS server. What other way can I do this? Would this resolve the issue? :
Setting up the internal domain as primary and then setting up a Virtual Domain using the External domain and having everyone use that as their primary on their email accounts?
stevegarriques

loops back to myself

Post by stevegarriques »

Anyone have any ideas about this?
kcearns

loops back to myself

Post by kcearns »

Came across this thread and another earlier today when I had a similar problem with an install. Turns out it had nothing to do with the server itself. A firewall performing NAT and port forwarding had hijacked outbound port 25 traffic and was redirecting it back to the mail server. Port forward fixed, mail loop errors went away. Probably not pertinent to this particular problem but I thought I'd mention it.
stevegarriques

loops back to myself

Post by stevegarriques »

Interesting, so you fixed it with port forwarding?
[quote user="kcearns"]Came across this thread and another earlier today when I had a similar problem with an install. Turns out it had nothing to do with the server itself. A firewall performing NAT and port forwarding had hijacked outbound port 25 traffic and was redirecting it back to the mail server. Port forward fixed, mail loop errors went away. Probably not pertinent to this particular problem but I thought I'd mention it.[/QUOTE]
kcearns

loops back to myself

Post by kcearns »

The port forwarding was causing the problem. They had an edge device forwarding inbound 25 traffic to the mail server. For some reason, maybe a faulty device or improperly setup forward, outbound 25 traffic was being redirected back to the server. Inbound mail worked fine, outbound did not.
stevegarriques

loops back to myself

Post by stevegarriques »

Wierd. See our Outbound and Inbound works fine. I still get that Error every day or every other day. I spent a long time with a Zimbra Employee tryin to figure out what was going on and he just came to the conclusion to not worry about it and everything was setup correctly.
How has your installation been? Everything running smoothly>
kcearns

loops back to myself

Post by kcearns »

Other than the odd looping yesterday (now thankfully fixed) it's been all good :)
milauria
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: loops back to myself

Post by milauria »

Hi reopening this topic if somebody can help me to clarify the following.

Code: Select all

message bounce detail (by relay)
--------------------------------
  none (total: 2)
         2   mail for mail.domain.com loops back to myself
I am on Zimbra 8.8.8 / Centos 7 with dnsMasq (Bind is too complicated for me!) and the email server works perfectly with the exception above.
I think that the emails originated by Centos and addressed to root@domain.com are not delivered (system warnings and other stuff). My Zimbra admin account has a "root" alias to capture these system-generated emails. I also can email to myself no problem.

I checked all the recommendation for :

/etc/hosts.conf
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.xxx   mail.domain.com mail

/etc/resolv.conf
search domain.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

/etc/dnsmasq.conf
server=myLANDNS or myISPDNS
listen-address=127.0.0.1
mx-host=domain.com,mail.domain.com,5
domain=domain.com
From Mark Stone blog I am not sure if I should add to dnsmasq.conf also the below line?

address=/mail.domain.com/192.168.0.xxx
Anything that looks strange to you that might cause the problem ?