failed to initialize documents...

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Dave Clark I

Post by Dave Clark I »

Though this seems to be a common problem, it is unfortunate that it appears to neither be dealt with openly (e.g., in the product wiki) nor does there appear to be a distinct understanding of the cause or a well-defined approach to fix it. At any rate...
I am not a 'nix administrator. In fact, this is my absolute very first exposure to installing *anything* on a 'nix system. I am not impressed -- but, for my client's sake, I need a solution. So, please tell me exactly what to check and how to fix it. Thanks.
Initializing Documents...failed to initialize documents...see logfile for details.
/tmp/zmsetup.log.21614
zmsetup.log.zip
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Search for documents on the wiki got me this:

Which">http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title= ... .0_Upgrade
Which will solve your problem.
[QUOTE]

I am not a 'nix administrator. In fact, this is my absolute very first exposure to installing *anything* on a 'nix system. I am not impressed -- but, for my client's sake, I need a solution. So, please tell me exactly what to check and how to fix it. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]
May not be the best place to start learning *nix.
Dave Clark I

Post by Dave Clark I »

That document seems to talk a lot about "after upgrade" -- except, I am not upgrading. This is a new install. How or does this affect any cause/fix relationship? Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You need to follow the instructions whether it's a new install or upgrade.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Dave Clark I

Post by Dave Clark I »

OK, then first question... Is the installation really complete except for correctly initializing the documents feature? Then, as I am a brand new zimbra user...

[QUOTE]1. When this account is automatically created, it is given an arbitrary account name. To find the Global Documents account, review the Description column, look for Global Documents account.[/QUOTE]

How do I do that?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Yes, the installation of Zimbra is complete - the Documents feature won't be available but it is Beta at the moment and should be repairable. This topic has been covered once or twive in the forums.
As for the 'how to', the document you've just been reading has already told you about the Administration Console. You get to that by going to https://yourserver:7071 - outlined in the Zimbra documentation.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Dave Clark I

Post by Dave Clark I »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]As for the 'how to', the document you've just been reading has already told you about the Administration Console.[/QUOTE]

I wish people would quit pretending that answers have already been given -- when they have not -- and just kindly answer the question asked. The following is all of the text from the top of the document down to the part I quoted:

[QUOTE]

For ZCS 4.0, Documents is considered beta-quality and is not automatically enabled when ZCS 4.0 is installed during an upgrade.
Zimbra Documents is a document sharing and collaboration application. Users can create, organize, and share web documents. Images, spreadsheets, and other rich web content objects can be embedded into Documents. External documents can also be uploaded.
The Documents application consists of a global Documents account, one optional domain Documents account per domain, and Documents Wikis folders for individual accounts.
When ZCS 4.0 is installed the Global Documents account is automatically created. You must enable this global Documents account before users can use the Documents feature.
Note: See the InitNotebook CLI command at the end of this article about how to create a global Documents account, if one was not created automatically.[/QUOTE]

I see nothing about an admin console in that text. Thanks.
Dave Clark I

Post by Dave Clark I »

OK, through the Zimbra Admin Console, I was able to follow steps 1 and 2 in that document under "How to Enable after upgrading to 4.0" (for the "wiki" global documents account) -- but, I am wondering how to verify if the document templates got loaded correctly. I wonder because I have seen other posts in the forum referencing this additional issue in conjunction with the initialization problem. Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="Dave Clark I"]I wish people would quit pretending that answers have already been given -- when they have not -- and just kindly answer the question asked.[/QUOTE]Hmm, and I wish people wouldn't use selective quotes. Actually, I did give you the answer about how to get to the admin console did you not see that part of the paragraph?
I was actually expecting you to have read the link that marcmac had pointed you to, that was the document I was talking about (if that wasn't it then I apologise). This is from the document in the wiki:
[QUOTE]How to Enable after upgrading to 4.0
1. When this account is automatically created, it is given an arbitrary account name. To find the Global Documents account, review the Description column, look for Global Documents account.
2. From the administrator’s console, edit the Global Documents account and on the Features tab, enable Documents. Save the account. The Global Documents account now is enabled and the templates are available for accounts that have the Documents application enabled. When the Documents feature is enabled in the Global Documents account the following usage scenarios are possible [/QUOTE]
[quote user="Dave Clark I"]The following is all of the text from the top of the document down to the part I quoted:
I see nothing about an admin console in that text. Thanks.[/QUOTE]Really? It does mention it and it's also covered in the Quick Start Guide.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
Dave Clark I

Post by Dave Clark I »

Tell you what... If you can't reply to a post without making little snide/snitty remarks, then don't reply at all. This is the very thing a moderator is supposed to prevent other people from doing. You see... A truly helpful person is one whom just answers the question asked and does so without attempting to demonstrate that the question really shouldn't have been asked in the first place. I've read serveral threads where other people have had the same problem with you.