Best/Recommended OS solution

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Keran

Post by Keran »

Hi there
We are currently looking into Zimbra, looking to roll it out with our company over the next 3 weeks.
I'm currently working with the IT team testing etc (and loving it)
Right now we are running Community Edition on Fedora Core 5

We have a trial license for a Network Trial running on OpenSuSE, however I read that as of ZCS version 5 OpenSuSE will no longer be supported.
What OS is the recommended. We don't particularly want to pay for Red Hat - we've stuck with CentOS for all our current servers. What is the recommended OS for Zimbra?
Thanks
gmsmith
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by gmsmith »

Well for the Network Edition you will need to use a supported operating system if you want to take advantage of the support provided by the Network Edition.
I would personally recommend RHEL 4, you can get a basic subscription for $300 and a small price to pay to ensure you have the support for your email services that you need.
While CentOS is binary compatible, I do not believe that Zimbra support would be extended for it when running it in place of RHEL.
EDIT: Welcome to the forums! :)
Keran

Post by Keran »

Thanks for the welcome
You are right $300 is a small price to pay for this stability - esp in comparison to Exchange :D
1542brian
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by 1542brian »

RHEL4 is the most tested platform internally. There are network and open source builds for Ubuntu which may be more cost effective for those on a budget.
AimanA

Post by AimanA »

Personally, I am going to be waiting around for the SLES10 NE. Hear that Zimbra? step on it already. ;)
RedHat is definately starting to s*ck with their new RHEL5(b2). Junk. Really. (and yes, I know it's a beta, but still.. wow) I administer a farm of RHEL4/AS servers, and I'm dying to migrate the whole shooting match over to SLES10 rather than upgrading to RHEL5.
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="AimanA"]Personally, I am going to be waiting around for the SLES10 NE. Hear that Zimbra? step on it already. ;)
[/QUOTE]
vote with your wallet at sales@zimbra.com
AimanA

Post by AimanA »

[quote user="marcmac"]vote with your wallet at sales@zimbra.com[/QUOTE]
That would be a management decision, guided by my recommendations. I'm not the guy you talk to for money.. I'm just the one in the back pulling the strings. ;)
Needless to say, it would be a decent sized installation for a company that I am consulting for this next few months..
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

[quote user="AimanA"]That would be a management decision, guided by my recommendations. I'm not the guy you talk to for money.. I'm just the one in the back pulling the strings. ;)
Needless to say, it would be a decent sized installation for a company that I am consulting for this next few months..[/QUOTE]
Call sales and say "I'm the recommender for an XXXX seat deployment, and I want SuSE10 NE, where is it?"