External group-based authentication - is it possible?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
2527benton

Post by 2527benton »

Hello, all.
I need to secure some resources that are external to Zimbra through Zimbra's LDAP interface. Authenticating individual users is no problem, but the only way I can see to aggregate users in Zimbra (Distribution Lists, right?) does net seem to appear as a groupOfUniqueNames in Zimbra's OpenLDAP database (or as any other object, for that matter).
I really do not want to have to maintain lists of external individual users for every external resource. Ideally, each Distribution List would be either stored or mirrored as a groupOfUniqueNames, which is the standard way for storing group info in LDAP.
Surely others have this need as well... is it possible? What solutions have others come up with?
Thanks in advance,

-b
quanah
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by quanah »

[quote user="2527benton"]Hello, all.
I need to secure some resources that are external to Zimbra through Zimbra's LDAP interface. Authenticating individual users is no problem, but the only way I can see to aggregate users in Zimbra (Distribution Lists, right?) does net seem to appear as a groupOfUniqueNames in Zimbra's OpenLDAP database (or as any other object, for that matter).
Surely others have this need as well... is it possible? What solutions have others come up with?
Thanks in advance,

-b[/QUOTE]
Hi benton,
Zimbra Distribution Lists are stored in their own object. You can see this via reading zimbra.schema, which defines the ZimbraDistributionList objectClass. Members of the distribution list are stored in the zimbraMailForwardingAddress attribute.
Hope this helps!

--Quanah
--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect, Symas http://www.symas.com/
OpenLDAP Core team http://www.openldap.org/project/