External Email POP3 Accounts bypassing Spam Filter

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
sadonanet

External Email POP3 Accounts bypassing Spam Filter

Post by sadonanet »

Hello,

I have Zimbra 8.7.1 as my internal email server; it has SpamAssassin built in.

It is not primary domain, Zimbra capturing emails from the outside with zimbra pop3 connector (add pop3 account to local account)

In Zimbra server, I have users who setup external email accounts in Zimbra to send/receive from accounts such as GMAIL, YAHOO and other host Email providers.

The problem is that Zimbra's Spam Assassin don't check mail captured with external pop3 connector, External Email Accounts bypassing Spam Filter.
I have discovered view the email headers that no x-spam entries from.
It on seems pop3 external accounts all spam checks are bypassed.

In checking with Zimbra, this is a know issue. The built in spam checks are not done on external accounts and the spam/ham does not work on this either.

Has anyone come into this situation and what is the handle or work-around?

Thanks
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Re: External Email POP3 Accounts bypassing Spam Filter

Post by Martinwiertz »

Yes, i have the same problem. POP3 in the user account doesn't get routed via Amavis/anti-spam. Strange.

I would like to have this option. I see no workaround but this:

INSTALL FETCHMAIL (BUT DON'T WORRY ABOUT CONFIGURING IT YET) ON YOUR SYSTEM. I KNOW THE COMMAND FOR DEBIAN BUT DON'T REMEMBER IT FOR REDHAT--BUT MAKE SURE THE FETCHMAIL PACKAGE AND ANY DEPENDENCIES ARE INSTALLED.

INSTALL WEBMIN (WEBMIN)

USE WEBMIN'S FETCHMAIL MANAGEMENT APPLET TO CONFIGURE YOUR BOX TO GRAB YOUR EXTERNAL POP ACCOUNTS AND ROUTE THEM TO INTERNAL ZIMBRA MAILBOXES. YOU CAN SET UP AS MANY OF THESE AS YOU WANT--I HAVE 15 OR SO POP BOXES ALL GOING TO DIFFERENT ZIMBRA USERS
MAIL FETCHED IN THIS WAY PASSES THROUGH THE SPAM FILTERS AS SURELY AS IT WOULD IF ADDRESSED TO THE ORIGINAL USER.