Multi Server Architecture

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
kondaiah

Multi Server Architecture

Post by kondaiah »

Hi,

We are planning to implement zimbra Open Source Edition for 27000 users on multi server environment. I have gone through the pdf document from zimbra on multi server setup and searched in the zimbra forums. I got fair idea about multi server setup and working.

We 6 number of standalone 2 way servers with the following hardware configuration:

Total HDD capacity: 2.1 TB, RAM = 64 GB, no of cores: 8

We are planning one box of 40 TB SAN storage for mail boxes.

we are planning to install OS as RHEL with smart virtualisation on these servers.

Kindly suggest Best possible architecture for best performance and disaster recovery with the above resources.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciable.
tej2000

Re: Multi Server Architecture

Post by tej2000 »

I am new and I am just curious how did you confirm that 6 servers are capable for 27k users, is there any formula we can use? Thanks.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

tej2000 wrote:I am new and I am just curious how did you confirm that 6 servers are capable for 27k users, is there any formula we can use? Thanks.
It depends...

If the users stick to just the Zimbra web interface, we often can get 5K-6K users per mailbox server in a multi-server environment no problem.

At the other extreme, where every user is on the web interface, uses Apple Mail, Contacts and Calendars from at least one computer, and has accounts set up on both their iPhone and iPad, and where most users receive more than 500 emails per day (and send a lot of emails too), it's hard to get more than 1K users on a mailbox server without seeing performance issues.

And for reference, the above mailbox servers we usually build with 16GB RAM and 6 CPU cores. We've found that you can build bigger servers, but (mainly because of Java), there are diminishing returns, so better just to add more mailbox servers. FWIW, we use 10Gbps NICs and combo Flash/SSD/spinning disk SANs.

Hope that helps,
Mark
tej2000

Post by tej2000 »

L. Mark Stone wrote:
tej2000 wrote:I am new and I am just curious how did you confirm that 6 servers are capable for 27k users, is there any formula we can use? Thanks.
It depends...

If the users stick to just the Zimbra web interface, we often can get 5K-6K users per mailbox server in a multi-server environment no problem.

At the other extreme, where every user is on the web interface, uses Apple Mail, Contacts and Calendars from at least one computer, and has accounts set up on both their iPhone and iPad, and where most users receive more than 500 emails per day (and send a lot of emails too), it's hard to get more than 1K users on a mailbox server without seeing performance issues.

And for reference, the above mailbox servers we usually build with 16GB RAM and 6 CPU cores. We've found that you can build bigger servers, but (mainly because of Java), there are diminishing returns, so better just to add more mailbox servers. FWIW, we use 10Gbps NICs and combo Flash/SSD/spinning disk SANs.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Thanks Mark!
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 0

Post by vavai »

Hi,
I've written a such design example for Zimbra that may related with your requirement : https://www.vavai.net/2015/12/design-ex ... ployments/
subbaramg@gbb.co.in

Post by subbaramg@gbb.co.in »

Can someone help me with the System requirements (IT Infra architecture) for 1 Lakh users deployment