8.6 to 8.7 Multi Server upgrade order

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
ppstruct
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.6.0_GA_1153.RHEL7_64_2014

8.6 to 8.7 Multi Server upgrade order

Post by ppstruct »

We are looking to upgrade our Zimbra multi-server setup from 8.6 to 8.7. We need to maintain the most uptime and reduce the amount of downtime that is needed. We essentially have two of each type of server; two master ldap servers, two mta/proxy servers, and two mailbox servers.

When we upgrade from 8.6 to 8.7 do we have to upgrade all servers at the same time or can we upgrade the master ldap servers first, and then upgrade the other servers another day? Will this cause any issues?

Also, can we upgrade just a single master ldap server and then once we are certain it works upgrade the other one? Is there any issues in having multiple master ldap servers running different versions?

Thanks.
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 0

Re: 8.6 to 8.7 Multi Server upgrade order

Post by vavai »

Hi,
ppstruct wrote:We are looking to upgrade our Zimbra multi-server setup from 8.6 to 8.7. We need to maintain the most uptime and reduce the amount of downtime that is needed. We essentially have two of each type of server; two master ldap servers, two mta/proxy servers, and two mailbox servers.

When we upgrade from 8.6 to 8.7 do we have to upgrade all servers at the same time or can we upgrade the master ldap servers first, and then upgrade the other servers another day? Will this cause any issues?

Also, can we upgrade just a single master ldap server and then once we are certain it works upgrade the other one? Is there any issues in having multiple master ldap servers running different versions?

Thanks.
Although it would/would not possible to use gradual/incremental/rolling upgrade (see : https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Rolling_Upgrades_Overview), I usually choose a single down time window for upgrading multi server cluster. Below is my summary step on last multi server upgrade from 8.6 to 8.7 :

1. Backup all server, both using Zimbra backup and also exporting LDAP data backup (I do even backup mysql databases manually :D )
2. Upgrade first LDAP master
3. Upgrade second LDAP master
4. Upgrade MTA/Proxy
5. Upgrade mailbox server

Our client have 12 server in total : 2 LDAP MMR, 2 MTA/Proxy Server, 3 MTA only server, 4 mailbox server and 1 archive server and the critical process are on LDAP MMR & Mailbox server as the others relatively has no data and I can rebuild it without problem if something goes wrong.

To save amount of time, run a database check before upgrade so you can by pass this check while upgrading mailbox as it would take much longer depending database size.

As on single version would have some problem, I always avoid possibility running different software version on one cluster except for development/testing purpose only.