Disk Structure Recommendation

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
zegufe

Disk Structure Recommendation

Post by zegufe »

Hello,

I plan to move Icewarp to Zimba. I have almost 2000 user and their old mail data. The old data size is 400 GB. Now I will create a new virtual machine on VMWare Esxi. The disk size will be 800 GB. Do I have to create a separate partition for mail storage in my setup? Or will standard disk configuration be sufficient?

I will install Zimbra on Centos 7 64 bit minimal.

I would appreciate your feedback.
Chicken76

Re: Disk Structure Recommendation

Post by Chicken76 »

Are you going to install the Open Source Edition or the Network Edition?

What backup strategy are you going to use?
zimico
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P3

Post by zimico »

You can take a look at this post viewtopic.php?t=37796#p211175 from Jorge.
Regards.
zegufe

Post by zegufe »

Chicken76 wrote:Are you going to install the Open Source Edition or the Network Edition?

What backup strategy are you going to use?
We are going to use Open Source Edition. We have virtual machines. So we backup our system daily with Veeam. In addition we plan to backup our mail system with zmbkpose tools. For backup we are going to use another server.
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello,
If you don't have different storage types to offer to the Zimbra VM, then I don't see any benefit to make it really complex. If you can offer like some SATA, and then SAS or SSD, then go ahead and split it as per this comment: If you use Veeam, make sure you include the script to stop the services with zmcontrol stop for the pre-freeze and zmcontrol start for the post-freeze, if you want to to keep consistency on a busy environment like yours.

Still, if you follow the official wiki we have about performance, you might find best practices for disk as well: Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/