Can't edit or change initial HSM policy

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
sibr

Can't edit or change initial HSM policy

Post by sibr »

Upgraded a server from 8.7.11 NE to 8.8.6 NE with the NG modules. Roughly 80 active mailboxes, Ubuntu 16. Has largely been working well since upgrade.

However, I wanted to set a policy that had a retention on the primary storage that was greater than 30 days, which is what the default (initial) policy has.

But there seems no way to remove or change the default policy. Trying to delete it fails to do anything, even if another is in present. Editing it just creates another one.

How can I get a different policy in place? Is the current HSM version documented in any detail? I did find some info, but it was either incomplete and/or seems suspiciously out of date based on the screen shots.

Thanks!
DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Re: Can't edit or change initial HSM policy

Post by DavidMerrill »

Weighing in WAY late, but I only now running into a scenario where a client has asked about HSM (and did a bit of searching if someone else had run into this). Ran into the same thing with editing/deleting the default HSM policy. I was confused at first but now feel likes it make sense to HAVE a default policy once HSM is in play (thus no-go on deletion) - I wish the UI had prompted the admin (clue-less me) to create the default policy & then mention its apparent special properties (it must exist).

As to editing the default policy perhaps the CLI tools might get one there (I suspect the Zimbra web-UI simply is not prepared to provide this functionality)?

Code: Select all

zimbra@zimbra-server:~$ zxsuite hsm

Commands regarding HSM module
  setHSMPolicy             - Set the default HSM policy
                             zxsuite hsm setHSMPolicy {hsm_policy}

DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Re: Can't edit or change initial HSM policy

Post by DavidMerrill »

Quick follow-up:

Here's the CLI view of HSM-policies:

zimbra@zimbra-server:~$ zxsuite hsm getHsmPolicy

policies
                appointment,task,chat,chat,message,message,contact,document:before:-10years
                appointment,task,chat,message,message,contact,document:before:-3years
                appointment,task,chat,message,contact,document:before:-2years
I'd edited the 3-year policy (changed it to 2 years), but it simply added a new policy (grrrr). Deleting the 3-year policy in the web-UI did nothing (bummer), so (since I'm fussy) we give it a go in the CLI:

zimbra@zimbra-server:~$ zxsuite hsm doRemoveHsmPolicy appointment,task,chat,message,message,contact,document:before:-3years

message                                             HSM Query removed.

policies
For a laugh I tried to delete (what I think of as the) default policy:

zimbra@zimbra-server:~$ zxsuite hsm doRemoveHsmPolicy appointment,task,chat,message,message,contact,document:before:-10years

message                                             HSM Query removed.
But no-joy (implies that a default must exist?)...

policies