Installing Zimbra when domain name is not set

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
m.issah

Installing Zimbra when domain name is not set

Post by m.issah »

Hi, this problem is partly an installation issue as well as a migration issue. I want to install Zimbra OSE on Ubuntu 16. Unfortunately, since I am changing hosting providers, the domain name is not yet available since its being used currently. All the guides for Zimbra installation seem to assume you have everything fresh and dandy. The domain name will be ghie.org.gh and access to mail will be mail.ghie.org.gh. Because I have not yet re-directed the nameservers, how should iI configure my /etc/host file and /etc/hostname file.

Worked years ago with SCO Unix and as you can tell; very rusty.

thanks

issah
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Re: Installing Zimbra when domain name is not set

Post by DualBoot »

Hello,

for hosts file you should be able to find a lot of sample on this forum. This topic has been discussed many times.
For the hostname add your fqdn inside and check too with hostname command.

Regards,
m.issah

Post by m.issah »

Hello and thanks for the response

I think I haven't made myself clear. The domain is currently online. I am just preparing a new server so I can move it from the old one. When I go through the checklist, the dnslookups find the domain at its old location instead of where I am trying to install it. My real question is:

1. Should i install the new server with a different name like mydomain2.com and then change it afterwards? Is this possible or

2. Install it with mydomain.com and configure the dns so it sees mydomain.com as the local machine? If yes, how would I do this?

Thanks and regards

issah
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

These may help:

https://www.missioncriticalemail.com/20 ... ion-guide/

https://www.missioncriticalemail.com/20 ... ick-start/

Essentially, you need to configure dnsmasq to "masquerade" the relevant DNS entries. dnsmasq is much better suited to this than BIND9; you only need entries for the exceptions, not a whole zone file.

Hope that helps!
Mark
m.issah

Post by m.issah »

Thanks L. Mark Stone,

I am already using your quick start guide.

regards

issah