8.8.6 to 8.8.9 (On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) - several users with missing folders after upgrade

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU14.64-Patch 24

8.8.6 to 8.8.9 (On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) - several users with missing folders after upgrade

Post by davidkillingsworth »

I just upgraded an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Zimbra 8.8.6 server to 8.8.9 last night.

To give you some background, we have been managing and supported Zimbra for a few customers for about 7 years. We are pretty familiar and well versed with Zimbra. We started supporting this particular client 7 years ago, which was version 7.

In 2016, we moved them to a new server with Ubuntu 14.04 and Zimbra 8 from their Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Zimbra 7 server. We did this by exporting the mail data with Zextras and importing into the new server.

We have never had too many problems with Zimbra upgrades over the years. In fact, they almost always go very smoothly.

Today after the upgrade, we found that several users who have access to shared mailboxes had 2 things happen:
1) Several folders in the navigation pane that were shared to them had disappeared or were moved somewhere in their own folder structure of their personal mailbox.

2) Some of them had mail rules disabled.

This happened to only a handful of users. Most of those were mailboxes for staff that had been with the company for a very long time. I didn't really have problems with newer users.

To give you an idea of how they use Zimbra:
This is a medical clinic and they have 4 or 5 areas of specialties with several nurses supporting each Doctor. There are mailboxes setup for various roles, such as reception, pharmacy, general practitioner nurses, midwives, pediatricians, etc. Those mailboxes are then shared to each of the nurses, pharmacists, or receptionists depending on their role. The mail rule simply files a message in the sent folder of the "shared" mailbox and marks the message read, so that when a person responds to a message in one of the "shared" mailboxes it goes into the "shared" mailboxes sent instead of their own sent.

I also had one user report that their personal folder disappeared. I looked in their mailbox and it was not in the trash or filed under another folder somewhere. They were sure that it was there at 5PM the day before the upgrade.

It's easy enough to go back and use the "find shares" feature and add the folders back to their navigation panes, and check that personas and mail rules settings are correct afterwards, but this is really very concerning.

Has anybody else had anything like this happen with the 8.8.9 upgrade?

Is there a log file that I can look at to see if there were any errors during the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

David
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: 8.8.6 to 8.8.9 (On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) - several users with missing folders after upgrade

Post by phoenix »

The log file is created in the /tmp folder, when the upgrade is finished it copies it to the /opt/zimbra/log directory and you should see a (dated) list of files in there as "zmsetup<some_date>.log"
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: 8.8.6 to 8.8.9 (On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) - several users with missing folders after upgrade

Thanks Bill.

Ok, I just checked the zmsetup log and I don't see anything with an error or anything that looks like it is touching the actual mailstore or any reference to any user mailboxes.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Hi David

I'm not really sure if it does anything to the mail store unless there's and table changes required to MySQL but that log file should be a copy of the original install log. Could this possibly be a filesystem or HD problem?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

I'm thinking reindex those mailboxes.

Lance
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Bill, I don't think it's a local disk issue. It's a pretty solid Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server in a VMware VM guest. It was re-built as a fresh server with fresh OS installation in 2016.

Axslinger, that could be something to look at. I just re-indexed the mailbox of the user who said that their personal folder disappeared. Re-indexing did not help.

Is there a command line method for re-indexing all mailboxes?

Thanks,
David
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

I'm also finding in the Preferences \ Accounts \ Persona Settings \ "When Composing, reply to or forwarding message in folder" field to be checked, but no folder name is selected for quite a few users.

EDIT: To clarify this is configured under personas that have access to "shared" mailboxes.
Last edited by davidkillingsworth on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

I'm also noticing that all of my outbound mail rules were changed.

The rule was: FROM - MATCHES EXACTLY - field input is <ourfromaddressthatweconfigured>
The new rule is now: HEADER NAMED - field input is <FROM> - field input is <ourfromaddressthatweconfigured>

Anybody else seeing any of the things that I'm seeing?
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

Here's a script I've used to reindex all mailboxes. Found it on these forums somewhere. Just change line 3 to your server name.
i'm planning on upgrading a few servers in a couple of weeks. Two of them are running 8.8.5 on Ubuntu 14.04.

Lance

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Get list of mail accounts and reindex each one
for i in `zmprov -l gaa -s server.yourdomain.com`
do
  echo -n "Reindexing $i"
  # Start reindexing
  zmprov rim $i start >/dev/null
  # Check if the rendix is still running for this account
  while [ `zmprov rim $i status|wc -l` != 1 ]
  do
    # Sleep for 2 seconds before checking status again
    echo -n . && sleep 2
  done
  echo .
done
davidkillingsworth
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Here is another bug that we have found this morning.

The problem happens when viewing messages in a user's mailbox with webmail.

When a user clicks the blue dot column header to select "unread / all" messages, only the messages that are unread are displayed in the view.

If they want to undo that message selection and show all messages, before the 8.8.9 upgrade, they used to click the blue dot again and all messages would be shown listed in descending order of when they were received.

After the 8.8.9 upgrade, when they click the blue dot column header again, the message selection is undone, so that all messages are shown again, but not in descending order. All unread messages are shown first. They need to click the blue dot to show all messages, then click the received column header to show all messages in descending order.

This problem happens with all themes.
We also re-indexed the mailboxes that we are testing with, but it didn't help.

Anybody else seeing this?

EDIT: I have just tested on a 8.8.6 server that we haven't upgraded yet, and this problem does NOT occur.