Network Edition 8.8.10 Upgrade - Backups "Bug"

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.6 Network Edition

Network Edition 8.8.10 Upgrade - Backups "Bug"

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Just a heads up to Network Edition customers of an issue we discovered today regarding backups. I've opened a support case with Zimbra just now on this. If this same situation impacted your NE environment, let me know and I'll report it on my case. That may help to get this addressed more quickly.

Recently, we did an in-place upgrade from 8.8.8 to 8.8.10. Under 8.8.8, we had been using only the ZeXtras (Backup NG) backup engine. When we installed 8.8.8 originally, we turned OFF the setting in the installer screen that sets the Network Edition backup schedule. As a result, under 8.8.8 there were no NE "zmbackup" crontab entries under the zimbra user's account.

Today we got a low free disk space alert for a mailbox server's backup partition, and upon inspection found that traditional Network Edition backups had been running from the date of the in-place upgrade to 8.8.10.

I removed the zmbackup crontab entries and purged all of the Network Edition "full-..." and "incr-..." subdirectories from the sessions folder to free up disk space. I also asked Zimbra Support to confirm that using the same target directory for both the Backup NG and traditional NE backups won't cause any issues with the Backup NG backups (I don't believe it does, but wanted to be absolutely sure).

Since the default zmbackup schedule has Full backups being performed last night, if you've recently done an in-place upgrade to 8.8.10 but are using only the Backup NG backups, now might be a good time to check your zimbra's crontab for any unexpected NE zmbackup entries, before next week.

Hope that helps,
Mark
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: Network Edition 8.8.10 Upgrade - Backups "Bug"

Post by pup_seba »

Thanks for the heads up :)

Just curious, the update was done via zimbra repository (yum/apt-get update) or with binaries?
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Version upgrades are not yet possible via repos. You have to download the new version’s tgz installer.

Mark
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

:) my bad. Thx!!!
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

This happened to me as well on my NE server. I just flushed the schedule to fix it but was scratching my head as to why it got enabled. Didn't attribute it to the upgrade because it took a while for me to start getting low disk space warnings.

Lance
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Just an update from the Support Case I opened on this...

Zimbra were aware of this bug and initially told me they thought the bug had been corrected in 8.8.10.

I pointed out that I had experienced the bug on two separate installs. I also pointed out that others on the forums had reported this same problem.

That was enough for Zimbra to devote some additional cycles to investigate; they have told me they have now confirmed the bug is not fully fixed and have slotted an enhanced fix for development.

To me, this is a good example of the forums being put to use helping Zimbra improve the product.

All the best,
Mark