Zimbra 8.6 P12 upgrade to 8.7.11 Ubuntu 12.04 - License Activation?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
LunaticRV

Zimbra 8.6 P12 upgrade to 8.7.11 Ubuntu 12.04 - License Activation?

Post by LunaticRV »

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my Zimbra 8.6 (Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.6.0_P12.) to 8.7.11 on Ubuntu 12.04, after I'd like to upgrade my Ubuntu 12.04 -> 14.04 -> 16.04 respectively.

1 - But first without upgrading the OS, I'd like to upgrade Zimbra only. What I wonder is, after upgrading from 8.6 to 8.7.11 do I have to buy a license or? I will be following this guide; https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Rel ... .0/Upgrade which has a section of License Activation and doesn't say anything about open source version;
License Activation
Important:

At the beginning of an upgrade installation, the existing license is validated as being current and qualifies for the upgrade. If your license is expired, an error message displays and the upgrade cannot be performed. Contact Zimbra Sales for a license renewal to continue your upgrade.
An upgrade installation will not proceed without automatic activation or a manually activated license file. License activations are limited to five activations per license file. If you have previously used all activations prior to upgrading your production system, you must contact Zimbra Sales to enable additional license activations.
All network edition installations require a valid license and license activation. New installs will have a 10 day grace period from the license issue date before requiring activation.

License activation is automatic during the install with systems that have external access to the Zimbra license servers. A means of creating manual activations will be provided for systems that do not have external access to the Zimbra license servers. See the ZCS installation guides for more information.

When upgrading, the way in which ZCO and archiving licensing is enforced might have changed on the server if you are using an older version of Zimbra Collaboration. Older licenses might have MAPIConnectorAccountsLimit set to 0 or ArchivingAccountsLimit missing in the license. Contact Zimbra Sales for an updated license file prior to upgrading if you have licensed either of these features and your current license does not properly reflect the correct number.
I wanted to make sure upgrading Release 8.6.0.GA.1153.UBUNTU12.64 UBUNTU12_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.6.0_P12 to 8.7.11 wont affect open source edition.

2 - Installing proxy and memcached, should I install proxy to another server or should it be running in the same server?

3 -Should I upgrade my OS 12.04 -> 14.04 -> 16.04 respectively or should I keep it as it is?

Thanks in advance for any response.