8.8.15 P4 Full Install

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: 8.8.15 P4 Full Install

Post by phoenix »

Species 8472 wrote:Looks like you are moving the goal post here.
First, there isn't a full installer to 'fix' your problem as Mark has already said. Second, it's not very bright to start insulting people that are trying to help you. Third, the goalposts have not 'moved' as you claim.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Species 8472

Post by Species 8472 »

Appreciate your input. Facts are:

- I encounter same problem with P4 that I experienced with P2 which was fixed with P2 full install.
- I know P4 full install is not available. Want to know why?
- P4 release notes state you can't go back to earlier patch level. So I can't use P2 full install.
- Mark says nobody else seems to have the problem I am experiencing with P2 or P4.
- I showed him otherwise.
- Mark then said he hasn't seen reinstallation fixes that problem.
- So it has gone from nobody else experience that problem to reinstallation has not been seen to fix that problem.

How is it not moving the goal post? Frankly, Mark is not helping but rather condescending here.
phoenix wrote:First, there isn't a full installer to 'fix' your problem as Mark has already said. Second, it's not very bright to start insulting people that are trying to help you. Third, the goalposts have not 'moved' as you claim.
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

Species 8472 wrote:Looks like you are moving the goal post here.
Not intentionally!

Help me to understand better then?

Mark
Species 8472

Post by Species 8472 »

Sorry we got off on the wrong foot...

Server is Ubuntu 18.04 with 8.8.15 FOSS installed before it was fully supported. Did some modification as per viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64151 and it works fine.

Applied P2 with apt and a whole bunch of issues detailed here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67071 but since this is a legacy server (main service moved to MS Exchange a while back) in a non-critical role, downtime is all right. So reinstalled full package with P2 and all problems went away.

P3 was subsequently applied with apt no problem.

Now P4 applied with apt and mobile and html web client does not list any messages. So naturally, I would want to try what worked for P2 since the issue was seen on P2 before.

But no P4 full install is available!!! So kind of stuck.

I know it is not the proper route to finding the root cause. But since this is not the main production mail server, I do not have the time to dig through the logs. A quick fix like a full reinstall would be quick and easy.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my problem.
coraxis

Post by coraxis »

Hi

I also have the issue mobile webmail doesn't show any message since the P4 install on 8.8.15

Did you get to solve this issue ? if yes, how ?
Species 8472

Post by Species 8472 »

I finally took the plunge and reinstall with full P2 package and "Yes" to use Zimbra's package repository (didn't work if you say "No"). All seems back to normal.

Thanks goodness we don't use Zimbra for critical front-line service.
jmorby

Post by jmorby »

L. Mark Stone wrote:I've looked at all of your previous posts, and with all due respect, I'm not seeing others on the forums reporting that P2 and P4 broke their Zimbra the way your Zimbra has experienced issues.

I'd therefore like to suggest that we start with the basics: post your log file snippets documenting the error so the community can help you get to the root cause of the issue that has impacted your system since P2.

In my fourteen years of experience with Zimbra, re-installs have never solved issues that couldn't/shouldn't have been solved in less drastic, service-impacting ways.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Hi Mark

We have exactly the same problem since going to P4 ... HTML (Standard) clients can no longer see any email, they have to be forced into Ajax / Advanced mode

Also we're seeing EWS customers reporting lots of problems

We're in the process of raising tickets with support for both ....

This needs an urgent fix

We had to go to P4 because we needed the zextras 3.0.3 fix as calendars were broken .... now webmail and (premium) EWS seems to be fubar

Not Zimbra's finest hour :( ....
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

jmorby wrote:
L. Mark Stone wrote:I've looked at all of your previous posts, and with all due respect, I'm not seeing others on the forums reporting that P2 and P4 broke their Zimbra the way your Zimbra has experienced issues.

I'd therefore like to suggest that we start with the basics: post your log file snippets documenting the error so the community can help you get to the root cause of the issue that has impacted your system since P2.

In my fourteen years of experience with Zimbra, re-installs have never solved issues that couldn't/shouldn't have been solved in less drastic, service-impacting ways.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Hi Mark

We have exactly the same problem since going to P4 ... HTML (Standard) clients can no longer see any email, they have to be forced into Ajax / Advanced mode

Also we're seeing EWS customers reporting lots of problems

We're in the process of raising tickets with support for both ....

This needs an urgent fix

We had to go to P4 because we needed the zextras 3.0.3 fix as calendars were broken .... now webmail and (premium) EWS seems to be fubar

Not Zimbra's finest hour :( ....
Yes, thanks for opening those tickets. Unit testing doesn't find everything, so it's up to us to help Zimbra identify and squash the remaining bugs.

FWIW, the HTML Standard client shows me my Zimbra and Gmail mail accounts, but does not render a third external account I have configured. You know that one of the recent Patch Release Notes (I can't recall which at the moment) indicated the HTML client is becoming deprecated?

I use EWS for Calendars and Contacts on my Mac, and a test event I just created in Calendar appeared in the web client. If you have specific functionality that's broken for you, let me know and I'm happy to test, and then you can add my results to your support case. (Probably you should start a new thread for that though...)

FWIW, my experience with Support has been that if you document your issue in good detail, with supporting log snippets from multiple tests and an offer of a zmdiaglog upload, you case will get escalated quickly. When Support tells you Development issued a bug number, be sure to ask for the bug number. It used to be that that Support would keep cases with Bug numbers open, but it seems a good number of people are reporting the same bug, so I've been told at some point that once you get a bug number, the case will be closed, even if Development hasn't yet slotted the bug for development. You are then free to open another case in a few weeks, to ask if your bug number has been slotted for the next Patch. The junior Support folks I have found are generally quite good at making sure your issue isn't a configuration error, though this can be frustrating I know when they ask you about stuff you know isn't part of the problem (it was for some customer though). The senior Support folks are excellent -- you just have to do the dance to get escalated up to them, and that's where comprehensive documentation of your issue, in painstaking detail, will help expedite that process.

Hope that helps,
Mark