How to set up Zimbra on my centos 7 using my own domain?

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
Holloxnder

How to set up Zimbra on my centos 7 using my own domain?

Post by Holloxnder »

Hello guys,

I'm new using Zimbra or any other mailserver except for exchange, I'm trying to install Zimbra 8.8 also tried 8.6 and the installation goes as it should, then once I try to check the status.

Command: su zimbra
Command: zmcontrol status

Ldap cannot be initialized or something like that then I try to restar the whole service with

Command: zmcontrol restart

So this is when It prompts this error:

5eaf9fe3 daemon: bind(7) failed errno=99 (cannot assign requested address)
5eaf9fe3 slap_open_listener: failed on ldap://mail.afnetworkingsolutionsandmoree.xyz.:389

So that's my domain, which I bought thru Godaddy, I'm assuming I have a bad config on my /ect/hosts file, only thing I did was just add IP (this IP is the one given of my web host, which it's also been configured to be the IP of my A record, MX record, CName record, etc..) + CName + my server host name...

/ect/hosts Ex:
10.1.1.1 mail.afnetworkingsolutionsandmoree.xyz mail

I guess my question would be, how can I set up Zimbra with my already configured DNS records of my web hosting? Is this possible to do?

FYI: my domain is not in used yet its just parked
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Re: How to set up Zimbra on my centos 7 using my own domain?

Post by Klug »

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure your DNS is correctly setup (SpltDNS might be needed)?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Holloxnder wrote:Command: su zimbra
That doesn't set the Zimbra environment correctly, you should always use it with a hyphen i.e.

Code: Select all

su - zimbra
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Holloxnder

Post by Holloxnder »

Klug wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure your DNS is correctly setup (SpltDNS might be needed)?
HI,

Thanks for replying. Well I haven't configured DNS, it's been configured by my webhost, which I pay monthly for it, all DNS records are pointing to the IP address that I added on my etc/hosts file.

Here's my enviaroment, I guess if I explain it this way, I'll be able to be understood more easily:

I own a domain, which I bought from godaddy and its DNS records are managed by my webhost in another website, the server I want Zimbra to be install and set up its a Linux centos ver7, however this server it's not a physical one, I set it up at vultr.com which is a could computing website so they should have their own DNS for that particular server and only provided me with the public IP so I can access it remotely and configure.

Whcih dns should I manage, the one from the cloud server or the one from my domain records?
BradC
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by BradC »

One trick I've used is to set up dnsmasq on the host and have it serve up the localhost ip address for domain and mx requests by ZImbra.

It's not entirely orthodox, but it has never caused me an issue. In fact it makes it super easy to clone the VM and bring it up in a staging environment with different IP addresses because Zimbra doesn't know any different.