New to Zimbra - FOSS, Need confirmation from experts

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
rcbrei

New to Zimbra - FOSS, Need confirmation from experts

Post by rcbrei »

Good day everyone!

Thanks there is a forum where we can have someone verify/answer some queries.

new to zimbra and only have few knowledge and experience on centos.

First, this is an already running server, no idea who set this up. our IT senior got terminated recently and left me with this task with no infos given to me
nor did i get any orientation from him.

I hope someone can help me understand more with our current setup.

This is our zimbra version
z1.png
z1.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
In this picture,
z2.png
z2.png (18.48 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
if im right, we have
*2 hard disks (da = 2TB, sdb = 500gb ?
*centos is installed in sdb which then make zimbra is also running in sdb ?
*but zimbra files are stored in sda /opt ?

another important question,

*how to check if we have implemented a backup system?
we do not have any other device in the server room that is like 2nd mail server for fail over.
and i think there is no raid setup here. what else could i check if what backup system or if there really is any?
rleiker
Advanced member
Advanced member

Re: New to Zimbra - FOSS, Need confirmation from experts

Post by rleiker »

Hi rcbrei,

Welcome to the Zimbra Forum. Zimbra is installed by default in the /opt/zimbra directory, so assuming that your Zimbra server is using the default location, yes, it would appear that Zimbra has been installed on the /dev/sda1 partition, and CentOS appears to be installed on the /dev/sdb1 & /dev/sdb2 partitions.
how to check if we have implemented a backup system?
we do not have any other device in the server room that is like 2nd mail server for fail over.
and i think there is no raid setup here. what else could i check if what backup system or if there really is any?
The Zimbra version information included in your screen shot shows that you are using the Open Source version of Zimbra. By default, this version does not include support for real-time backups, which is only available in the paid version of Zimbra. But, if you browse both the Zimbra Wiki (https://wiki.zimbra.com/), and the Forums, you will find many community contributed options for doing backups in the open source version of Zimbra.

For RAID, there is a software RAID option available in CentOS and hardware raid options. If you are not sure which, if any, that you have, you could start by inspecting the number of physical disks present in the server. You would need at least 2 disks to do RAID 1 (mirroring), and it appears that Zimbra and CentOS have already been installed on separate disks, so you know you will have at least 2 disks already. This means that if either /dev/sda of /dev/sdb is part of a hardware RAID setup, you should expect to see a minimum of 3 or more drives in the physical server. For info on determining if software RAID is in use, just do a search for "centos software raid" for how-to articles.

Also, take the time to review the Zimbra documentation (https://www.zimbra.com/documentation/), especially the Administrator's Guide. If your organization is looking for a higher level of Zimbra server redundancy, such as high availability, and management assistance, you may also want to consider the option of working with a Zimbra service provider, who can help you host your Zimbra mailboxes. My company, Skyway Networks, is a Zimbra service provider, and there are many others too: https://www.zimbra.com/partners/busines ... providers/ .
Martinwiertz
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: V10 FOSS Intalio on Ubuntu20.04

Re: New to Zimbra - FOSS, Need confirmation from experts

Post by Martinwiertz »

Hi welcome,

You could check the cron prompt on what is running. Maybe a backup job to second disk.

Additional, Check admin login and maybe something like Zextras.com backup is installed.
Admin weblogin on <ip>:7071 Port.