Migrating to ZCS from Exchange / Split Domain

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,
After reviewing this guide

Split domain with Exchange 2003 as Primary - Zimbra :: Wiki
I noticed that split domain works in a way that Exchange being the primary mail host (that's the way it should be for my scenario), and the new ZCS being the secondary server, Exchange will forward the e-mails towards the ZCS only if the mailbox doesn't exists in the Exchange server. Is this correct? What am I missing?
The scenario I would like to have is one in which:

1) Exchange server is primary and ZCS is secondary

2) Provision all user accounts into ZCS

3) Configure mail forwarding from Exchange towards Zimbra

4) Start data migration (please, any example script that you may know will be much appreciated as rules, tasks, mails, contacts, distribution lists, public folders, etc should be migrated. At this point, users will still should be using Exchange while the new messages are being forwarded as for configuration in step 3.

5) After migration is complete, change proxy/routing to point to new ZCS.

6) Shutdown Exchange
The LDAP server is Active Directory and will continue to be as we don't want to change user passwords.
Is this possible to do? Please, could you please tell me how or point me to some document that says so? If this is not possible, what is the closest workflow to achieve this?
Thanks a lot!!!

pup_seba
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="pup_seba"]2) Provision all user accounts into ZCS[/QUOTE]You only create accounts on the secondary that don't exist on the primary i.e. you have moved the account to the new server.
[quote user="pup_seba"]4) Start data migration (please, any example script that you may know will be much appreciated as rules, tasks, mails, contacts, distribution lists, public folders, etc should be migrated.[/QUOTE]What's wrong with using the Exchange Migration Wizard?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,
Thanks for your quick response! So I won't be able to have the user in Exchange and in Zimbra at the same time :(
Nothing wrong with the wizard, but I read that it doesn't migrate user rules nor public folders and other objects. Is this correct?
Thanks again,

pup_seba
7531prashant
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by 7531prashant »

I thinkhttp://files.zimbra.com/website/docs/8.0/Zimbra_Migration_Exchange_Admin_8.0.5.pdf"] Exchange Migration Guide will clarify your doubts.
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,
This guide looks really cool :) Thanks a lot. I will give it a try today if possible!!!
I also was thinking about the possibility of using a SMTP connector in Exchange to redirect all e-mail to the secondary Zimbra server even when the user exists in Exchange...I will also try that as I really would love to be able to keep using Exchange while data is being migrated to Zimbra and new e-mails are redirected aswell.
Thanks again to both of you!!!

pup_seba