Migrating from CMGPro (CommunigatePro)

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

well we've migrated to now use the Zimbra server, data is still transferring from the CMGPro server...
So mail is still going across and my PERL hack is running to deal with the MAPI calendars / contacts.
I've got about 100+ users who didn't use the MAPI connector who will be migrated at a later date to use the Zimbra connector, I'll probably use the PST Converter for them.... but we'll see.
I'll post up user feedback and also other comments over the next week or so.
Looking forward to finally killing the CMGPro server I must say.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

This seems to have been quite a slog to get this conversion done, it's been interesting reading your posts. Congratulations on the heroic effort. :)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

Well most of the people are now back up and running with email, all of the old MAPI users are using the ZM Connector and a few of the OSX people are using the iSync connector (nice that people can finally see each other's diaries)
I've got the last 30 or so accounts to migrate over the weekend and then the CMGPro server will be pensioned off.
I've also got 12Gb of RAM to slap into the Zimbra server.
Initial feedback from users

- The webmail is better

- The ZM Connector is better (and more reliable) than the CMGPro one.

- You can see mac users diaries?!

- Where has my email gone? (those who haven't fully migrated)
For those looking to undertake a move from CMGPro, I'd suggest that the move is worth it, but isn't simple, this is something that needs to be addressed. Creating the accounts was easy (using my perl kludge) the groupware migration and the data migration has just been a complete slog.
People are only now trimming their accounts as we're imposing quota limits shortly...
The largest email account is 19Gb, and having 100+ people rock up on Tuesday and connect to the mail server absolutely creamed it as all of their clients tried to sync up..... so if you migrate a lot of users / lot of data, try and do a staged switch on of mail clients.
New SSL cert is place now, and I've also gone through the performance tweaking stuff in the wiki and applied all of that with the exception of the LDAP tweaks.
Final thoughts?

- Have plenty of coffee on standby for change over day.

- Ensure you have a server to migrate to, you can't do this all one server (as we originally tried)

- Users will ignore all your email and phone on their first day on the new system saying "where's my email"
Still mostly done now, just a bit of mopping up to do and getting the remaining 200 people using connectors rather than IMAP.
The fun never stops.
nosilver4u

Post by nosilver4u »

Could you post your scripts for the mapi data? calendar, contacts, and that sort of stuff? We're looking at a migration this weekend, and I don't want to have to manually import this stuff.
thanks,

Shane
davidfsmith
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by davidfsmith »

Attached is the groupware script to migrate calendar and contact information.
I can't stress how important it is that you test it before using it in the wild, it was a hack cobbled together that "kinda" worked.
I've not had the time to go back to it and tidy up / improve it.
So in short, use at your own risk.... (and it can certainly be improved)
groupware.pl.zip
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by 14319KevinH »

[quote user="nosilver4u"]Could you post your scripts for the mapi data? calendar, contacts, and that sort of stuff? We're looking at a migration this weekend, and I don't want to have to manually import this stuff.
thanks,

Shane[/QUOTE]
If the data is already in PST files you could use the PST import wizard.
velocitygirl13

Post by velocitygirl13 »

Hi David. I'm hoping that you are still available in the forums. I have a CMGPro server that I need to migrate to Zimbra (open source version). Do you happen to have any step by step instructions available that you can share? I have a feeling this is not going to be easy in any way. I already downloaded a copy of your scripts. Thank you for sharing those. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks again.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You shouldn't be adding posts to a thread that's almost eight years old and you really should take a look through the forums & wiki for an answer to questions like this. If you have IMAP access to the server then use IMAPSYNC to make the move there are details in the wiki article and the usual forum threads that detail the procedure.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
velocitygirl13

Post by velocitygirl13 »

Thanks Phoenix. I know I shouldn't be reaching out on a post that is 8 years old. I was just hoping that David Smith was still around to maybe give me some step by step instructions because I was unable to find any in the forums otherwise. I know that IMAPSYNC will work for moving the email over, but I have contacts and calendars that I need to move along with addresses, aliases and groups. Nothing I have read otherwise has been helpful.