Migrating from Postfix+Dovecot with LDAP to ZCS

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
sirajmc

Post by sirajmc »

Dear Zimbra Community,
I have a production mail server running on CentOS5 using Postfix, Dovecot with OpenLDAP. I need to migrate / move everything (including LDAP) in to the new server running CentOS 5.5 with ZCS 6 (Release 6.0.8_GA_2661.RHEL5_64_20100820052503 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition).
Please advise which is the best way for moving my LDAP database and mails (postfix) to ZCS.
Thanks,

Siraj Mundayott.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Take a look at some of the migration articles in the wiki (also search the forums for further details): User Migration Articles - Zimbra :: Wiki
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
sirajmc

Post by sirajmc »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Take a look at some of the migration articles in the wiki (also search the forums for further details): User Migration Articles - Zimbra :: Wiki[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll check once again and get back.
Siraj.
sirajmc

Post by sirajmc »

Hi,
Instead of moving LDAP to my ZCS I am planning to use external LDAP option and imapsync to copy emails from postfix.

My test was successful using external LDAP but I cannot see all accounts in ZCS after configuring it. Please find my external LDAP settings below.
Authentication

--------------

Authentication mechanism: External LDAP

LDAP bind DN template:

LDAP URL: ldap://server.domain.local:389

Enable StartTLS

LDAP filter: (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))

LDAP search base: ou=Users,dc=domain,dc=local

Use DN/Password to bind to external server: Yes

Bind DN: cn=smbldap-tools,ou=DSA,dc=domain,dc=local
GAL Settings

------------

GAL mode:

External

Most results returned by GAL search: 10

GAL sync account name:* user@domain.com

Datasource name for external GAL: server.domain.local

External GAL polling interval: 1 days

Server type:LDAP

LDAP filter:* (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))

Autocomplete filter: (|(cn=%s*)(sn=%s*)(gn=%s*)(mail=%s*))

LDAP search base: ou=Users,dc=domain,dc=local

LDAP URL: ldap://server.domain.local:389

Bind DN:
Please advise.
Thanks,

Siraj.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sirajmc"]Instead of moving LDAP to my ZCS I am planning to use external LDAP option....[/QUOTE]You can't do that, you still need to use the LDAP that's installed with Zimbra. External Authentication is just that and it's not a replacement for the LDAP in Zimbra.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sirajmc

Post by sirajmc »

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant is using the Zimbra LDAP but by syncing the user accounts from my primary LDAP (Linux OpenLDAP) by configuring external authentication. If this is not possible then what exactly the purpose of External authentication option in zimbra admin console?
Please advise.
Thanks,

Siraj.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sirajmc"]Sorry for the confusion, what I meant is using the Zimbra LDAP but by syncing the user accounts from my primary LDAP (Linux OpenLDAP) by configuring external authentication.[/QUOTE]There's no confusion at all on my part. You need to create users in the Zimbra LDAP, it's used to provision the user account.
[quote user="sirajmc"]If this is not possible then what exactly the purpose of External authentication option in zimbra admin console?[/QUOTE]It means exactly what it's name implies, it's to authenticate users against an external (or centralised) LDAP server.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sirajmc

Post by sirajmc »

So I have to manually update zimbra LDAP every time I make changes in my master LDAP?
Thanks,

Siraj.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="sirajmc"]So I have to manually update zimbra LDAP every time I make changes in my master LDAP? [/QUOTE]I don't really understand what you mean by that question. If you mean adding a new user to your master LDAP that requires a Zimbra mailbox then the answer is yes, you must provision the user in Zimbra as well. There are a couple of RFEs to add synchronisation with an external source so you could vote on them. You could also script it yourself, I aslo believe there may be some scripts in the forums to do just that if you'd like to search for them.
Regards

Bill

Per ardua ad astra
sirajmc

Post by sirajmc »

Thanks Bill,
I find some related perl scripts from Bulk Provisioning - Zimbra :: Wiki (CSV File to Zmprov and LDAP Users to Zimbra Accounts).

I have all accounts in a CSV format exported from my LDAP server. Based on above wiki "CSV File to Zmprov" script can generate zmprov commands. I guess I have to pass my csv filename as parameter and my csv file field name should match as like in the script. But there are couple of doubts like how-to include UID number also the comments on script "LDAP Users to Zimbra Accounts" looks not marked as comment (#). Sorry for my poor understanding, I have worked in exchange and Linux postfix mail but I am not really into scripting, I would appreciate if you could give me some guideline to solve my scenario.
Thanks,

Siraj.