imapsync into 8.6 doesn't work

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
oldwizard

imapsync into 8.6 doesn't work

Post by oldwizard »

Trying to get email out of Cyrus-Imapd into 8.6 open source Zimbra. The tool I'm used to using when playing imap mail moving games is imapsync. Got it from "NO CAPABILITY" for zimbra to:

Host2: connecting and login on host2 [192.168.1.1] port [993] with user [oldwizard]
Host2 banner: * OK IMAP4 ready
Host2: 192.168.1.1 says it has CAPABILITY for AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
Host2 failure: Error login on [192.168.1.1] with user [oldwizard] auth [PLAIN]: 2 NO AUTHENTICATE failed

/bin/imapsync --nosyncacls --ssl1 --host1 mail.example.com --user1 oldwizard --password1 MASKED --folder INBOX --host2 192.168.1.1 --user2 oldwizard --password2 MASKED -ssl2 --authmech2 PLAIN --syncinternaldates --subscribe

Now the wiki https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Guide_to_imapsync for this product says: This is archive documentation, which means it is not supported or valid for recent versions of Zimbra Collaboration.

So should I be using a different tool?
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Re: imapsync into 8.6 doesn't work

Post by DualBoot »

Check if clear text login is enabled on the account.
The Guy - DualBoot

PostMaster - WikiMaster - SysAdmin
"Free Your Mind. Think Open Source"
april.org
Zetalliance Member - zetalliance.org
oldwizard

Post by oldwizard »

DualBoot wrote:Check if clear text login is enabled on the account.

One of the 1st things I checked.

Even went so far as to say no to SSL. Did that before posting. (along with #service zimba restart)

I can log into the web interface with the user and password, so that low-hanging fruit has also been picked.
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

Isn't "--authmech2 PLAIN" supposed to work for admin login (using admin user/pass so you can access any mailbox)?
oldwizard

Post by oldwizard »

Klug wrote:Isn't "--authmech2 PLAIN" supposed to work for admin login (using admin user/pass so you can access any mailbox)?
I've not tried that (yet).

Command lines like this work with other imap to imap ports in the past:

/bin/imapsync --ssl1 --host1 mail.example.com --user1 oldwizard --password1 MASKED --folder INBOX --host2 192.168.1.1 --user2 oldwizard --password2 MASKED

And that bog-simple version got "NO CAPABILITY" from Zimbra.

I'm a tad more concerned the zimbra wiki entry which was cited stated how the page was deprecated and no indication I can find as to how one is supposed to move the mail if its not some kind of Microsoft format.
Tom Welter

Post by Tom Welter »

I used the admin credentials for accessing both servers to copy the mail for a specific user (tomw in this case). No idea why you don't get authenticated. Perhaps this is an option for you?

Code: Select all

imapsync --nosyncacls --syncinternaldates --buffersize 8192000 --subscribed --maxage 65 –-nofoldersizes --skipsize \
--exclude 'Trash|NoSpam|NewSpam|Junk' \
--regexflag 's/.*?(?:(\\(?:Answered|Flagged|Deleted|Seen|Draft)\s?)|$)/defined($1)?$1:q()/eg' \
--regextrans2 's#^INBOX##' \
--host1 oldmailserver.example.com --user1 tomw --authuser1 cyrus  --password1 xxxxxxxxxxx \
--host2 localhost  --user2 tomw --authuser2 adminuser  --password2 xxxxxxxxxxxxx --ssl2 --authmech2 PLAIN 
Unimportant stuff: The regexflag had to do with copying the mail status as well. The regextrans had to do with the different base dir for mails in cyrus and zimbra.
regards
Tom
L. Mark Stone
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: 10.0.7 Network Edition

Post by L. Mark Stone »

In the past we've used the following; we've found we've had to tweak some of the settings every few Zimbra versions, and depending on the source server. We run impasync from the target Zimbra server FWIW too.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/imapsync --host1 <ip or fqdn> --host2 <ip or fqdn> --buffersize=8192000 --syncinternaldates 
--authuser1 admin@sourceserver.com --password1 MASKED \
--authuser2 admin@zimbraserver.com --password2 MASKED \
--nofoldersizes --nosyncacls --user1 firstuser@sourceserver.com --user2 firstuser@zimbraserver.com \
--ssl1 --exclude (?i)\b(Junk|Spam|Trash|Contacts)\b --regextrans2 s,\s+(?=/|$),,g
odiecoranes

Post by odiecoranes »

Hi,

try --noauthmd5 on your imapsync, Migrated user’s mailboxes with no issue from iRedMail to zimbra 8.6.0 FOSS edition.

This is my imapsync for single user..

imapsync --buffersize 8192000 --nosyncacls --syncinternaldates --noauthmd5 --nofoldersizes --skipsize --fast \
--exclude "#KnownSpam" --exclude "#FalsePositives" \
--exclude "Trash" --exclude "Deleted Items" \
--exclude "Deleted Messages" --exclude "Deleted" \
--host1 mail.yourdomain1.com --user1 user1@yourdomain1.com --password1 'P@ssw0rd' --tls1\
--host2 mail.yourdomain2.com --user2 user1@yourdomain2.com --password2 'P@ssw0rd' --tls2