ZCS 8.8.9 : CentOS to Ubuntu

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

ZCS 8.8.9 : CentOS to Ubuntu

Post by tonyg »

I originally installed Zimbra over CentOS because (it seems) most of the notes in the wiki and forum focus on platform-specific details for CentOS.

While I do like CentOS, I only have one CentOS in my network right now and that's only for Zimbra - all the rest are Ubuntu. (Which is weird because I started Linux with RedHat, Mandrake, CentOS, other distros, and have only recently specialized on Ubuntu.

So to standardize on one distro I'm thinking about moving Zimbra into Ubuntu.
Is there any compelling reason to stay with CentOS?
Will I face a need to translate functionality and docs written for CentOS? In other words, is anyone here frustrated because they're running over Ubuntu and sometimes they're only finding info about CentOS?
Is there any stumbling block in this kind of switch?

I'm trying to avoid a scenario where I migrate in the quest for simplicity, but I end up spending more time looking for distro-equivalent solutions.

And while I'd be OK with a completely new install to a completely new OS, I'm wondering if Zextras Migration utility would be a way to go. Just install a fresh Zimbra, run Zextras Migration on both sides, profit!? ( I still can't figure out if Zextras is FOSS with paid support, freemium, or if just components are free while the core is licensed... )

Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: ZCS 8.8.9 : CentOS to Ubuntu

Post by phoenix »

The ZeXtras Migration Tool is free to use for thirty days and ZeXtras are quite happy about it. :) As CentOS is working I wouldn't bother with the move but then I've always used CentOS without problems. RHEL is also the most used distribution for ZCS as far as I know, if that means anything, but I'm sure Ubuntu users will chime in with their opinion.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

I've ran Zimbra on both over the years and never had a problem with either OS. I'm with Bill; I wouldn't bother migrating just for the sake of standardizing. But if it's really, really, really bugging the crap out of you, I'd use the 30 day trial of Zextras Suite and export a backup, then import it back into a fresh install of Zimbra on CentOS.

Lance
tonyg
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU18.64 FOSS

Post by tonyg »

I hear ya guys. Sincere thanks as always.
No, it's not "really, really, really" bugging me. :mrgreen: So I'll leave the existing installation for now.
But every time I want to setup a new boot process, or cron, or load a package or whatevah, I find I need to shift mental gears to remember how it's done in This distro.
I'm also trying to do some Ansible scripting so that I can quickly spin off a new system (maybe some day for profit?). And while I can easily spin off CentOS for this and Ubuntu for that, I don't want even more systems that are different for no good reason.

So, @axslingr - I'm getting from your response that you've never felt that running over Ubuntu was a special challenge. That's really all I was looking for. In fact, I'll do as the Brits say: "suck it and see". I'll fire up a new Ubuntu, install Zimbra, run different domains on it while keeping other domains on CentOS, and see how it goes.

Thanks!
axslingr
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 UBUNTU18

Post by axslingr »

tonyg wrote: So, @axslingr - I'm getting from your response that you've never felt that running over Ubuntu was a special challenge.
Not at all. It's what I use the most.

Lance