More expensive migrations, with less functionality

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
gabrieles
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Re: More expensive migrations, with less functionality

Post by gabrieles »

pup_seba wrote: This is just my personal opinion, but, it just seems that zimbra is taking all the wrong decisions you can take, unless of course you are just trying to kill the product.
- Almost no participation in its comunity
- Not providing a bug report system
- Outdated and incomplete documentation
- Outdated training materials
- No certification program
- No (real) traning for partners
- 1 or 2 bugs fixed...every 2 weeks!
- Fingers crossed for support given to be provided by either us or eu teams. When support is provided from india, the experience is behyond dissapointing.
- Things "forgotten" in its code...like still having the attributes for cluster always on in its code...
- Not caring about user, partner, community feedback
Maybe I'm wrong with all of this, is just that I am quite confused and can not understand it :/
You have my complete agreement
By now we fear upcoming releases, it seems that there's a specific department that has the only task to find something that works perfectly and replace it with something broken.
There's someone that every morning holds a meeting and decide what working feature will be ruined in the next release.
The bugzilla works? There are problems on it? No? Close it!
The old faithful backup works? Why not replace it with the new backups with zero documentation and zero support on them?
Users are still using the legacy backups? Let's remove them completely in the next version.
And all the subsystem connected to them, like the zmmboxmove, the zmblobchk...? Ah, true..
The customers are enthusiast of the first Drive connected to Nextcloud? Let's switch to a new embedded Drive (another? even with no relations with briefcase...) system and leave the opendrive only support the old Nexcloud 13.
Companies using old Domino want to switch to zimbra? F### them, we don't want them! They are not worthy to use zimbra, let's contrast them removing the migration tool.
Companies using Exchange want to leave it? You have to do it quickly, because the migration tools are being put in retirement...
And these are just a small part of all the complaint I hear every day.

By now It looks like a perfect product suicide.
7224jobe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15_FOSS Patch38

Post by 7224jobe »

gabrieles wrote:
Users are still using the legacy backups? Let's remove them completely in the next version.
And all the subsystem connected to them, like the zmmboxmove, the zmblobchk...? Ah, true..
That is alarming :shock: No more rolling updates then :o
Klug
Ambassador
Ambassador
ZCS/ZD Version: All of them

Post by Klug »

7224jobe wrote:That is alarming :shock: No more rolling updates then :o
Actually you can still do rolling updates, you have to deal with the limits of the current solution.

The thing is you can only do rolling updates between servers running the same "subsystem" (either legacy or NG).
You can not do a "rolling update" from legacy to NG.

In other words, if you want to do a rolling update from 8.6 to 8.8.last-NG (the current version), you'll have to setup the new server with 8.8.last-legacy (no NG modules).

Then, once you've moved all your mailboxes to the new server, you can switch it from legacy to NG.

That means more space used (both backup systems for a while) and especially more time spent...

Oh, and I forgot: I totally agree with Pup_seba and Gabrieles.