Method to restore email messages from the store directory

Looking to migrate to ZCS? Ask here. Got a great tip or script that helped you migrate? Post it here.
Heber Dev

Method to restore email messages from the store directory

Post by Heber Dev »

Hi,

One of our servers security was compromised and got its zimbra installation damaged (I guess a coin miner), many directories (data/ , log, jetty...etc) were removed and we are left with some directories like /store , zimlets, zmstats ,..etc.

Anyway, we prepared another zimbra server, ... And found a backup that is 2 months old (April 2019). We worked for 2 days in order to restore and, finally, get it working (with accounts, calendars...etc).

So, we copied our new store directory (i.e July) to the new server and rename it storebak (but we did not replace the other /store directory).

My question : We want to restore emails between April and July to the new zimbra installation , how can we do that? (Emails are very important to our clients, we do not have any other option).

Our zimbra version was 8.7.*

Thank you ! ;)
bit_hammer

Re: Method to restore email messages from the store directory

Post by bit_hammer »

I have the same issue. Attempting to restore an old backup (hopefully pre-infection) and then copy our current accounts to it. I installed zmbackup from github as mentioned on another post, not knowing that there already was one. The putty session went down before it finished, so I have no idea if it's still running or if it died. The backup folder just has sessions.txt with 0 bytes.
imanudin11
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.15.GA.3829.UBUNTU16.64

Re: Method to restore email messages from the store directory

Post by imanudin11 »

Heber Dev wrote:Hi,

One of our servers security was compromised and got its zimbra installation damaged (I guess a coin miner), many directories (data/ , log, jetty...etc) were removed and we are left with some directories like /store , zimlets, zmstats ,..etc.

Anyway, we prepared another zimbra server, ... And found a backup that is 2 months old (April 2019). We worked for 2 days in order to restore and, finally, get it working (with accounts, calendars...etc).

So, we copied our new store directory (i.e July) to the new server and rename it storebak (but we did not replace the other /store directory).

My question : We want to restore emails between April and July to the new zimbra installation , how can we do that? (Emails are very important to our clients, we do not have any other option).

Our zimbra version was 8.7.*

Thank you ! ;)
Hello,

You can inject .msg data using zmmailbox command. Please refer into this guidance : https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zmmailbox# ... p_commands