Postmaster messages undelivered

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
nxruls

Post by nxruls »

Zimbra 4.0.0.RC1 on Centos 4.3 running smoothly :D however I can see a lot of messages in active queue destined for root@mailhost.domain.com.
I have a fetchmail CRON process which uses zmfetchercfg script to aggregate mail for one of the users and this seems to be generating these emails.
I can send mail to root@domain.com without any issues, have also defined root alias in /etc/aliases to admin@domain.com and still messages are not being flushed ... after several requeue. :confused:
thanks
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You could send the output of your cron job to /dev/null if you don't need it. If, however, you want to see it then the easiest solution is to create a new domain in zimbra called mailhost.domain.com and add the root@ user as an alias to an account. That user will then see all the messages fhat your cron job generates.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
imarks001

Post by imarks001 »

I am seeing the same issue, only with logwatch. I have read other posts about this but none resoved the issue. I have added the maillost.mydomain.com domain to zimbra and definded root@ and servers@. I have the local /etc/aliases defined with:
root: servers@mydomain.com, servers

Zimbra: servers@mydomain.com
Results of sending mail locally.

# mail -v root

Subject: Test Message

This is a test.

Cc:

LOG: MAIN

root@postal.mydomain.com U=root P=local S=391

delivering 1GHKrw-0003tD-CX

** servers@postal.mydomain.com : Unknown user

lowest numbered MX record points to local host: mydomain.com

== servers@mydomain.com R=dnslookup defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host

** servers@mydomain.com : retry timeout exceeded

[root@postal ~]# LOG: MAIN

<> R=1GHKrw-0003tD-CX U=exim P=local S=1560

Completed

delivering 1GHKrx-0003tj-Od

** servers@postal.mydomain.com : Unknown user

lowest numbered MX record points to local host: mydomain.com

== servers@mydomain.com R=dnslookup defer (-1): lowest numbered MX record points to local host

** servers@mydomain.com : retry timeout exceeded

servers@mydomain.com : error ignored

Frozen (delivery error message)
Will zimbra allow mail to relay locally?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="imarks001"]Will zimbra allow mail to relay locally?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if it's on the same subnet. If not you need to add the subnet to mynetworks.
Isn't /etc/aliases only for sendmail? That has nothing to do with Zimbra. What happens if you send to one of these domains via the zimbra ui? Is zimbra working normally for mail delivery? Are you using DNS lookups for email delivery in the Admin GUI?
This technique of adding a new domain works for me.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
imarks001

Post by imarks001 »

The /etc/aliases file is not striclty for sendmail. I'm just using it to foward any email that goes to the local root acount to my servers@mydomain.com account.
nxruls

Post by nxruls »

Creating a domain for mail.domain.com is a workaround, it will require MX for that domain as well, I would like to keep the configuration clean if possible.
I have also checked the (MTA) /opt/zimbra/postfix config files and that is referencing /etc/aliases, hence the changes to /etc/aliases however this does not seem to make any difference.
so far ... mails queued for root@mailhost.domain.com and zimbra@mailhost.domain.com are not being delivered and these seems to be reports from Zimbra CRONs.
BTW, the fetchmail is no longer generating any emails.
bquinata

Post by bquinata »

I did have a similar issue with email addressed to root@mailhost.domain.com stuck in the mail queue. Within the Zimbra admin console, I created an account root@domain.com with an alias of root@mailhost.domain.com. Because I am restricting relay to a select few servers, I originally left out 127.0.0.0/8 as a value for mynetworks in main.cf file. When I updated mynetworks and reloaded to configuration, all queued emails were delivered.
If your original email is meant for a different mail server for the same domain, there are steps to forward emails for domain.com to another mail server. I believe you can find it on Zimbra's wiki.
Don't forget to run 'newaliases' when you make a change to /etc/aliases.
Good luck.