NE Full backup problem

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
915Matt

NE Full backup problem

Post by 915Matt »

Hi all,
Having a problem with full backups hanging and causing Zimbra to be unavailable on the affected server. Incrementals work fine. I've tried running the full backups manually with the debug output and it always seems to stall on my mailbox:
[zimbra@zimbra sessions_tmp]$ zmbackupquery | head

full-20061123.152635.049

Started: Thu Nov 23 15:26:35 GMT 2006

Redo log sequence range: 121 .. 121

Currently backing up account matt@adomain.com

4 out of 10 accounts have been backed up
36M ./full-20061123.152635.049
It just sits there saying the same thing with the session_tmp directory not increasing in size. Top shows the box as being idle.
After a while the UI stops working - its unable to open messages.
I'm unable to abort the backup although it gives me no feedback from the abort command. I have to issue a zmcontrol stop and start, then its ok again. If I run a full backup straight after this, it works :confused:
Can't see anything obvious in the logs. Does anyone have any useful suggestions?
Thanks.
inigoml
Advanced member
Advanced member

NE Full backup problem

Post by inigoml »

Hi Matt.
This is a know problem with Zimbra and IMAP4 SSL connections. There is a fix coming for later releases, but it's very easy to solve this problem with this fix. Install perdition (imap/pop3 proxy support).

Deploying">http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6623
Deploying perdition is really easy and you will get extra benefit in performance.

Ah">http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title= ... _Perdition
Ah, perdition sometimes do not stop properly when you call zmperdition. In that cases, "pkill -9 perdition". ;)
[quote user="915Matt"]Hi all,
Having a problem with full backups hanging and causing Zimbra to be unavailable on the affected server. Incrementals work fine. I've tried running the full backups manually with the debug output and it always seems to stall on my mailbox:
[zimbra@zimbra sessions_tmp]$ zmbackupquery | head

full-20061123.152635.049

Started: Thu Nov 23 15:26:35 GMT 2006

Redo log sequence range: 121 .. 121

Currently backing up account matt@adomain.com

4 out of 10 accounts have been backed up
36M ./full-20061123.152635.049
It just sits there saying the same thing with the session_tmp directory not increasing in size. Top shows the box as being idle.
After a while the UI stops working - its unable to open messages.
I'm unable to abort the backup although it gives me no feedback from the abort command. I have to issue a zmcontrol stop and start, then its ok again. If I run a full backup straight after this, it works :confused:
Can't see anything obvious in the logs. Does anyone have any useful suggestions?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
915Matt

NE Full backup problem

Post by 915Matt »

Sorry, I'm confused; are the backups done using an IMAP connection to each mailbox in turn? Or are you saying that if I leave an IMAP client connected to my Zimbra account whilst trying to run a full backup, it will prevent the backup from running?
Thanks.
inigoml
Advanced member
Advanced member

NE Full backup problem

Post by inigoml »

If did myself same question. And the answer is the second one. There is a locking problem between IMAPS threads and backup task.
[quote user="915Matt"]Sorry, I'm confused; are the backups done using an IMAP connection to each mailbox in turn? Or are you saying that if I leave an IMAP client connected to my Zimbra account whilst trying to run a full backup, it will prevent the backup from running?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
915Matt

NE Full backup problem

Post by 915Matt »

Ahh ok. Thanks for the reply.