zimbra moves emails into trash - I don't know why

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
fisch09
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fisch09 »

Hi all,
I have Zimbra open source 4.5.3 on Ubuntu running and some of the email are moved into Trash. I can not find any reason. I deleted all filters to exclude user errors. Still some email end up in Trash. The email headers looking fine.

Is there a way to see all sieve filters or all other rules that may cause this?
Cheers

Andre
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Post by marcmac »

Turn off your IMAP client.
fisch09
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fisch09 »

[quote user="marcmac"]Turn off your IMAP client.[/QUOTE]
Already tested - it's NOT the imap client
jholder
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by jholder »

How do you know this?

Unless you have a rule set up, Zimbra won't just trash things.
Have you looked in your logs? In particular, look at the /opt/zimbra/mailbox.log
fisch09
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by fisch09 »

[quote user="jholder"]How do you know this?

Unless you have a rule set up, Zimbra won't just trash things.

[/QUOTE]
I haven't used my mail client and checked the email using webmail and there was again one unread email in Trash.
I haven't anything in the logs about this.
I suspected the spam kill setting but as the email has not spam tag in header I don't think this is it.
Is there any way to see the actual filter/rules? Maybe a former rule is not deleted properly (I had rules moving email direct into trash). Because of this I deleted ALL MY rules, but it still happens.
Cheers

Andre
dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Post by dkarp »

Your filters are stored in LDAP in the zimbraMailSieveScript attribute on your account.
Another thing that can cause mails to be mysteriously moved to trash is somebody else sharing your account. (You'd be surprised how often this is the case.)
17211adrian

Post by 17211adrian »

Has anyone found a work-around to this issue? I am experiencing exactly the same problem:

- All other email clients other than ZWC are turned off

- All filters have been deleted from ZWC (none of them used to move items to the trash)

- Inbox is large (3.4G+)

- Over 10,000 unread messages
A few seconds after some messages arrive they are moved to the Trash folder. Note it doesn't happen for all messages or all accounts, but it does happen consistently for a few accounts. It is happening to read and unread messages. I wonder if there is some kind of bug related to message count since there are some many emails it is moving some of them to the trash to "make room". Probably not, but I thought I would mention it.
If anyone has any more information or a work-around it would be greatly appreciated...

Adrian
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Welcome to the forums.
There are several reason this may happen: a) filters are set that move email to trash; b) users is using a pop client and is removing them from the server; c) someone else is using the account and moving the mail.
You'll have to provide some evidence from the logs (and some sample mail, headers etc) that this is happening. You should also search the forums for zimbraMailSieveScript and find out how to list the filters for an account to make sure there are no filters set.
There are no bugs relating to this type of problem and the only circumstances that it's happened are the three reasons I mentioned at the beginning.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
17211adrian

Post by 17211adrian »

Hello and thank you for your reply. I double-checked the filters with:

zmprov ga user@domain.com | grep zimbraMailSieveScript
It returned nothing. I checked manually by scrolling through the output of zmprov ga user@domain.com and indeed the property is not there. I assure you there is nobody else using my account (POP or otherwise) and I am using no other email clients.
If you have specific logs in mind that I can grep for output please let me know and I can provide more info here.
Best Regards,

Adrian
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

You can check in the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log for the message moving through the system.
How did you get all that email into your Inbox? Have you tried a re-index on the users mailbox? Is the NE or OSS version of Zimbra and which release is it?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra