Can I allow users to make aliases?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind »

I'm just setting up and testing Zimbra for my situation. I'd like to be able to allow my users to create their own aliases. For example, I'd like joe@example.com to be able to create joe-paypal@example.com, joe-slashdot@example.com, joe-zimbra@example.com, and so on. This way, when a user needs to use an email address to sign up for access to some website or webforum, he can create an alias for it instead of giving out his main email address.
I can't seem to find a way to allow users to create their own aliases. Is this possible with Zimbra?
Thanks

--Dan
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Only the Admin can create Aliases, how about them using Options/Mail Identities?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind »

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Only the Admin can create Aliases, how about them using Options/Mail Identities?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that quick response.
Creating an Identity doesn't allow the user to make email aliases for his account though. Say Joe goes to somestore.com and wants to buys something. Upon checkout he has to create an account, and he, of course, will have to give these people his email address. Well, Joe doesn't want to just be giving out his main email address to any company he buys a product from, because you never know what they might do with that address (sell it to SPAMmers). So instead of giving them "joe@example.com" he wants to give them an alias, say "joe.somestore@example.com". Now in order for this to work, the Zimbra server is gonna need to be able to accept email sent to "joe.somestore@example.com" to his mailbox, which is "joe@example.com". But creating a new Identity won't allow Joe to tell Zimbra to do that. He needs to be able to create an alias for his account.
So from you're response, I assume the only option is for Joe to send an email to his system administrator and as to have that alias created?
Thanks

--Dan
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Yes unless you creat some kinda portal-with a back end to run commands on the zimbra server
How about what is collectively refered to as plus '+' addressing? (or recipient_delimiter)

[quote user="mmorse"]So say I'm using my email at a website, I can put the email as me+website@domain.com.

Then when I start getting tons of spam sent to that address, I know they have a shitty privacy policy, shared my address etc.
In addition it makes it easy to apply filters-all you have to enter is the 'to' address!
Milage may vary but in postfix it's:

recipient_delimiter = +

sometimes with '+' or ''+';

look in /opt/zimbra/postfix/main.cf three lines down

(not where/how you actually edit it-this was just discussion-see below for final method)

I've come accross and posted directions on this before, but I couldn't enable it because all our mail comes in through 2 mta's; one of which I can't add the 'plus' feature for, so it makes no difference.

[/quote]

[quote user="mmorse"]No problem! Only wish I could use it myself, but I can't modify an exim edge mta to my liking :(

So in wrap-up, the final solution to add recipient_delimiter + 'plus addressing' to send an email to you+random@domain.com and still get it at you@domain.com is:

su zimbra

zmprov mcf zimbraMtaRecipientDelimiter +

zmcontrol stop

zmcontrol start (some might have luck with just 'postfix reload' instead of a full reboot-but you might as well do the whole reboot)
This could be duplicated with any 'standard' symbol such as '-'
If I could use this solution myself...I would personally setup '-' to automatically tag/folder an incoming email.

So if I send something to myself me-stuffforfirewall@domain.com it would file/tag with stuffforfirewall.
And '+' which is common to most systems, would be for signing up for something say at me+amazon@domain.com

Then when I start getting junk from sites I can see who they sell my email to/who leaked it, or filter to trash/junk.[/quote]
danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind »

[quote user="mmorse"]How about what is collectively refered to as plus '+' addressing? (or recipient_delimiter)[/QUOTE]
I'm using that on my current Postfix server (the one I'm migrating to Zimbra from), actually using a hyphen instead of a plus. The only problem with that is that it allows anything in, instead of just the ones that the user has specified. I'd like the user to be able to specify a list of allowable aliases. That way, if the blokes at SomeStore.com decide to sell his email address to some SPAMmers, and he starts getting a ton of "offers" sent to that address, he can just go and remove the "joe.somestore@example.com" alias and that will simply no longer be a valid address and Zimbra will reject it without even the need for SPAM filtering because it won't be a valid address.
Thanks

--Dan
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Go ahead and open a RFE (well search first) for: 'the ability for users to create aliases'.

(And of course allow this feature to be turned on/off via admin console.)
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

A pm-but for all those out there.

[quote user="danfluidmind"][quote]Go ahead and open a RFE[/quote]I'm new to Zimbra. Where do I go to "open a RFE"?

Thanks.

--Dan[/quote]

No problem,

RFE=Request for Enhancement - generally meaning visit Bugzilla

(For instance you might select enhancement as an option choice and mark it P3 - RFEs which are the lowest priority. )

Register your email, and be sure to search first to be sure there's no open requests/bugs for your issues.
Then comes the fun part-Voteing (and encourage others to vote) for your bug/request.

Now there's no set magic # of votes that gets something done at zimbra-it's based on importance of customer needs.

See here for an insight into the process:
Also">http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/200 ... e_pro.html
Also visit Zimbra Product Portal to see a sorted layout of what's 'planned' to be in the next releases.
danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind »

[quote user="mmorse"]Go ahead and open a RFE[/QUOTE]
Done. Bug 17404.
Thanks.

--Dan
barrydegraaff
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: Can I allow users to make aliases?

Post by barrydegraaff »

There is an extension/Zimlet called Zimbra User Alias that allows a user to add alias to the users account.

https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/user-alias