Relay all mail, local and external?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Vimm

Post by Vimm »

I see that Zimbra has an option to relay mail for external delivery, but is there also an option to relay all mail? We are already running Ironport servers and would like to relay our local mail through them as well, however I don't see any way to tell Zimbra to do that.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

Where would you be relaying your internal mail to? By definition it's 'internal', that is internal to the Zimbra server if that hosts your domain.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Vimm

Post by Vimm »

We have Zimbra's virus scanning and spam checking turned off because we already have an Ironport server doing that for us. There's no point in scanning each email twice, right? The problem is, any message sent internally ends up not being scanned at all, so if a virus did manage to sneak in there's nothing to prevent someone from mailing it out to the whole company.
Is there any way to get our internal Zimbra mail to pass through our Ironport server so that all mail gets scanned?
kirme3
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kirme3 »

Vimm, or anyone else,
Did you ever get your setup to send internal mail through Ironport? We have an Ironport appliance too, and I would like to do this.
Thanks!
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

[quote user="kirme3"]Vimm, or anyone else,
Did you ever get your setup to send internal mail through Ironport? We have an Ironport appliance too, and I would like to do this.![/QUOTE]Just set-up a relay, if this is an Authenticated relay then use these instructions: Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki This has been covered many times in the forums.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
jom

Post by jom »

These instructions only apply to external email as far as I can see. I would like to know how to relay internal email through an external smtp server.
Manfred Zhu

Post by Manfred Zhu »

If the end users use mail clients, you probably can make them set the smtp server to your Ironport. In this way, Ironport will take all the mails at the first step and route it back to your Zimbra after performing AS/AV scanning.
But if end users use browser... I don't see if this can be done!
soba@ukw.edu.pl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by soba@ukw.edu.pl »

You must use external smtp server, like external postfix / exim or Ironport.
All mail must be sent via external smtp server. Zimbra will be only pop/imap server and webmail.
Sample:

WEBMAIL: Zimbra can send all messages (to internal and external users) via external smtp, but only if you use ZImbra webclient.

SMTP: Therefore you must create an external smtp server (for smtp connection from internal users) and route all internal mail to your Zimbra server. External mail (non local domain) must be routed to the outside servers.- Internal users need to send all messages via external smtp server.

Probably, there is the possibility of configuring master.cnf (Zimbra postfix) to send all internal and external messages to outside server (non local delivery option).
You can also read this post:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administra ... nport.html