WebDAV and Briefcase

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

WebDAV and Briefcase

Post by Russianspi »

Hello. I've heard that you can mount briefcase shares in WebDAV, for example, KevinH said so in a comment on the blog. If this is the case, then how does one go about mounting it via WebDAV? I've used both Windows' and Ubuntu's native implementations, and get errors every time I try to mount the share. Could someone please give a simple step-by-step to do this? Assume I'm quite stupid; you won't offend me, I promise ;). It would make my life much easier, and I could quit using my W2K3 server as a file server.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

WebDAV and Briefcase

Post by 14319KevinH »

The base URL for WebDav into your mailbox is:

This">https://SERVER/service/dav/USER
This will prompt you for your username/password to authenticate. It will give you back a list of folders including briefcase and then some *special* folders. Like 'attachments' which will let you browse your entire mailbox's attachments by date, sender or type (image, audio, etc) See the screenshot below for examples. Please be aware this it not very optimized so some larger folders may timeout or take a long time to view. Also if you drag and drop a large number of files from your desktop it may take sometime for that to transfer as we index each one as they are added.
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 4.png
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

WebDAV and Briefcase

Post by Russianspi »

Cool. I was hoping that you would answer this; I almost sent you a PM, but I figured that everyone could benefit from having this question answered. I think I've almost got it. Tell me if I've got the syntax right. I'm trying to log in like this (assuming that mail.myzimbraserver.com and dan@myzimbraserver.com are my server and E-mail address, respectively):
I'm">http://mail.myzimbraserver.com/service/ ... server.com
I'm not using https (Should I be?) and I'm assuming that the word service in your example was not intended to be a variable. When I get prompted for a username and password, I enter dan@myzimbraserver.com as the username, and also enter my password. It doesn't work. What am I missing?
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

WebDAV and Briefcase

Post by 14319KevinH »

Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

WebDAV and Briefcase

Post by Russianspi »

Ah-ha! I tried a few alternate clients, but when I try to open the folder in Firefox, I get a good, real error message. It seems that my first try at a login was correct, but that there was a server error that I wasn't seeing. It happens when I just leave off a username (just /dav/), and when I put my full user name in the URL. (If I just try "dan" I get a 404). In either of these situations, I get a "500" Error, with lots of detail from my web browser. The code is as follows:

HTTP ERROR: 500
INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR
RequestURI=/service/dav

Caused by:
java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.zimbra.cs.dav.DavContext.(DavContext.java:70)

at com.zimbra.cs.dav.service.DavServlet.service(DavServlet.java:112)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)

at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserAgentFilter.java:81)

at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:132)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)

at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:712)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:176)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:506)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:830)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)