Multiple hosts in "Inbound SMTP host name"

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
LeoKurz

Post by LeoKurz »

Hello,
I found some threads but no real answer how to configure multiple hosts for the "Inbound SMTP host name" in the UI. Is it possible (it must be!) and if, how is it entered (comma or space separated)?
Thanx
__Leo
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

I don't understand what you mean by '......configure multiple hosts....', what exactly are you trying to do and why?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
LeoKurz

Post by LeoKurz »

Hello,
if you have an external mail relay, you have to configure "Inbound SMTP Host name" in the domains to validate incoming SMTP traffic. Usually every external mail provider has at least two mx-entries in the DNS to recieve mail, so each of this hosts can receive and forward mail. To my understanding, all hosts of the external provider which are listed as mx records in the DNS have to be listed in the "Inbound SMTP Host name". How can I do this?
__Leo
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by phoenix »

LeoKurz wrote:if you have an external mail relay, you have to configure "Inbound SMTP Host name" in the domains to validate incoming SMTP traffic.
There's a contradiction in that statement An 'external mail relay' is a server through which you are relaying mail for delivery, is that what you're doing? If it is you need do nothing other than relay through that server and possibly authenticate to do that.
LeoKurz wrote:Usually every external mail provider has at least two mx-entries in the DNS to recieve mail, so each of this hosts can receive and forward mail.
The two MX records just indicate a primary and backup (or possibly load-balanced) mail servers.
LeoKurz wrote:To my understanding, all hosts of the external provider which are listed as mx records in the DNS have to be listed in the "Inbound SMTP Host name". How can I do this?
This is the contradiction in your first question, are they relaying through your server? If they are they just need to use port 587 and authenticate to send mail via your server. Nothing else needs to be done and nothing needs to be changed.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
LeoKurz

Post by LeoKurz »

Mails are sent to my ISP, that's why *their* Mailservers are listed in the mx records of my domain. Then these servers forward the mails per smtp to my zimbra server. This is a very common sceario if you e.g. host virus scanning at an external provider. This is exactly the case when you, acording to the manual, are supposed to configure "Inbound SMTP Host name" as the mx check will not repoert the zimbra server as mail host. But in most cases, there are at least two servers listed as mx records but the "Inbound SMTP Host name" in general or domain configuration only allows on host. But IMHO all hosts listed as mx entries in the domain have to go into this configuration.
__Leo
LeoKurz

Post by LeoKurz »

Knock,knock, any news on this? When I understand zimbra-attrs.xml right, the attr id="744" name="zimbraDNSCheckHostname" only allows a single value?! The description is quite obvious: "This attribute is used for DNS check by customers that configure their MX to point at spam relays or other non-zimbra inbox smtp servers". This is *very* common, at least with our customers, but I can't think of a provider who only has a single server set in the mx records. What happens if the second (third, forth...) sever relays to the zimbra server? Is the mail rejected?
__Leo
kruon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Post by kruon »

LeoKurz wrote:What happens if the second (third, forth...) sever relays to the zimbra server? Is the mail rejected?
That mail will be treated like any other mail server which sends mail to your host.
You only need to specify one address there.
dummy_foto

Post by dummy_foto »

LeoKurz wrote:Knock,knock, any news on this? When I understand zimbra-attrs.xml right, the attr id="744" name="zimbraDNSCheckHostname" only allows a single value?! The description is quite obvious: "This attribute is used for DNS check by customers that configure their MX to point at spam relays or other non-zimbra inbox smtp servers". This is *very* common, at least with our customers, but I can't think of a provider who only has a single server set in the mx records. What happens if the second (third, forth...) sever relays to the zimbra server? Is the mail rejected?
__Leo
I have same question and so surprised that no one understand and able to answer...
johnnyentertains

Post by johnnyentertains »

dummy_foto wrote:I have same question and so surprised that no one understand and able to answer...
Same question here. I'll break it down barney style...
We have the same setup. The reason there are two (2) MX records is that a larger organization cannot simply have one (1) SPAM/AV server for mail. If that goes down for any reason the second, usually clustered together with a different host name, takes over and continues either store and forward or continues normal operation. A large organization cannot have email rejections dude to a service restart of a SPAM/AV filter.
E.G. MX: smtp01.domain.com - priority 10

MX: smtp02.domain.com - priority 20
neither of those are the zimbra server, they are SPAM/AV servers.
SO...the question I'm sure LeoKurz and dummy_foto have are the same, how do you enter multiple MX records in the Zimbra Admin console under Home-->Configure-->Global Settings-->MTA-->Network-->Inbound SMTP host name? Do you put a comma , do you put a semi colon ; do you put a period . do you put a kitten emoji ^.^???
tkriviradev

Re: Multiple hosts in "Inbound SMTP host name"

Post by tkriviradev »

I am with you guys I get the point right away.

No i am at the same situation, am wondering what to do.. how to define two servers to be allows in "Inbound SMTP host name" filed.