Zimbra will conflict with mysql server ?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
cipandales

Post by cipandales »

Hello !
I installed Zimbra 8.0.6 on ubuntu 12.04. Everything was working ok.

After that, i received a request from mail server owner to upload on the server his site.

So, I installed apache with php and, because this site is built on wordpress platform, I had to install mysql server (and phpmyadmin).

Does mysql server i've installed after I installed Zimbra will conflict with mysql built in Zimbra ?

Should I go onward with this setup ?
Thank you !
nrc

Post by nrc »

Zimbra is designed to run on a dedicated email server. It's possible to install other software but doing so may break your Zimbra installation and if not, then at some point a Zimbra update might break your other software. This is noted in the installation guide.
Yes, it's possible to sort out the port conflicts but there's no guarantee that something won't change or break in the future. It appears that Zimbra's mySQL runs on a non-default port, so that may be safe. The installation process specifically recommends that you disable any installed mySQL but it's no longer required.
The default Zimbra web service will definitely conflict with Apache on 80 and 443 so you'll have to move one or the other to another set of ports. You may be able to move the Zimbra web interface and have Apache proxy to it based on a different virtual host name.