log files enquiries

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

log files enquiries

Post by 1415bhwong »

I got 14GB of log files in /opt/zimbra/log. Is this normal?
Does the log files get auto delete after a period? If yes, how long is the retention period? 30 days? If not, can I safety delete them away?
Does migrating of accounts or moving of huge emails from an account to another account generate huge log file or temp file in the boot drive?
What are the java_pidxxx.hprof files in the log folder? Can I safety remove them as well?
btw, I notice that the index folder is taking up 30GB. Is there anyway to shrink this?
aamit.rhce

log files enquiries

Post by aamit.rhce »

Hi,
Which ZCS version you are using?
$ zmcontrol -v
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

log files enquiries

Post by 1415bhwong »

I'm using 7.26. Is there any difference in the log behaviours for difference versions?
aamit.rhce

log files enquiries

Post by aamit.rhce »

Hi,
Just curious to know which ZCS-version you are using.

Does the log files get auto delete after a period? If yes, how long is the retention period? 30 days? If not, can I safety delete them away?

>> we can get log deletion period from "zimbra cron [zimbra@amit log]$ crontab -l" , yes you can delete old log if it not required for future use.
Does migrating of accounts or moving of huge emails from an account to another account generate huge log file or temp file in the boot drive?

>> Yes it create tmp file, pls check "zimbraMailboxMoveTempDir: /opt/zimbra/backup/tmp/mboxmove" might it delete data after migration.
What are the java_pidxxx.hprof files in the log folder? Can I safety remove them as well?

>> This is very surprising to have java_pidxxx.hprof in log folder, I think you can delete it. (Check its time stamp and backup before deletion)
btw, I notice that the index folder is taking up 30GB. Is there anyway to shrink this?

>> If we delete index of some account, zimbra will recreate it again, not have much idea on this.
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

log files enquiries

Post by 1415bhwong »

Is there a way to prevent huge storage consumption resulted from migrating emails from one account to another? Is there a way to disable tmp file creation or use another tmp folder for moving of huge number of emails from one account to another so that the bootdisk will not hit zero free space and end up bringing down Zimbra?
Or is it possible to configure a limit or restriction how many emails end users can move to prevent overconsumption of our bootdisk storage in a day?
As for the Java log files, Zimbra support has assisted me to disable the log file generation from Java, which was activated by previous Zimbra support team for troubleshooting when Java was consuming all the resources and freeze up Zimbra. They did not deactivated this when the Java issue was resolved previously. They added these which generate the Java log files:

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

-XX:HeapDumpPath=/opt/zimbra/log

-XX:ErrorFile=/opt/zimbra/log
The commands to reset the Java configuration:
su - zimbra
zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_options="-server -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:PermSize=196m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime"
zmmailboxdctl restart
zmlocalconfig mailboxd_java_options
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

log files enquiries

Post by 1415bhwong »

Is it safe to remove files from the following folders/directories since they are using significant storage?
936456 /opt/zimbra/log
1941788 /opt/zimbra/redolog
3851148 /opt/zimbra/zmstat

(date folders and csv files)
1379412 /opt/zimbra/data/tmp

622152 /opt/zimbra/data/amavisd/quarantine
141844 /var/cache/apt/archive

104520 /var/log
1415bhwong
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

log files enquiries

Post by 1415bhwong »

[quote user="aamit.rhce"]

>> Yes it create tmp file, pls check "zimbraMailboxMoveTempDir: /opt/zimbra/backup/tmp/mboxmove" might it delete data after migration.
.[/QUOTE]
I have done some test and found that when migrating or importing of emails, Zimbra will create a huge log files in /opt/zimbra/redolog/. There is nothing in /opt/zimbra/backup/tmp/mboxmove at all, at least not for Zimbra 7.2.6
These files (in /opt/zimbra/log/) also growth during the migrating/importing:

yyyy_mm_dd.trace.log

mailbox.log

sync.log

access_log.yyyy-mm-dd

zmmailboxd.out
Possible to reconfigure the redolog folder to another folder/directory such as sharing with zimbra backup folder which is my external NFS storage?