about zimbra users migration

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
gyaseen

Post by gyaseen »

Hi there,
recently we copied account from zimbra 5 to zimbra 8 via account migration wizard, all went okay except that the few email accounts at zimbra 5 were used as a forwarding email accounts. When moved to new zimbra 8 such email accounts dont have forwarding lists.

Please help me fix this issue
gyaseen

Post by gyaseen »

Any one can help me please?

[quote user="gyaseen"]Hi there,
recently we copied account from zimbra 5 to zimbra 8 via account migration wizard, all went okay except that the few email accounts at zimbra 5 were used as a forwarding email accounts. When moved to new zimbra 8 such email accounts dont have forwarding lists.

Please help me fix this issue[/QUOTE]
pup_seba
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by pup_seba »

Hi,
Usually, moving from such an older version to a newer one, could have this sort of implications. Sometimes due to bugs, other times just due to the way these tools work (they have limitations) and other times because changes in the very way things work (ldap schemas, renamed attributes, etc).
I never perform a migration like that before (I would have used rsync method...although it would have take longer and more "jumps" through different platforms, it's something I trust), so I could only give you ideas:
1) Try to script it. If you still have access to the old server, "get the accounts" to check for their forward values and then script it back to the new server "zmproving" the new values.
2) IF you are not still on production, the best tool I ever known to move mailboxes is "ZeXtras". I recently used it to migrate from a RHEL5 with Zimbra 6 with 12.000 users to a multimaster/multi proxy enviroment with version 8.0.7 and everything worked like a charm! Even shared folders, calendars, and stuff :) So my second idea is to provision the accounts (no need to move information if you want...just provisioning the accounts should be enough I think) as this third party tool does a REALLY good job and it may maintain everything in place. The big BUT with this, is that ZeXtras is compatible only from version 6.0.7 so you should have to do this in-place upgrade first.
Regards,

Sebas