New hardware, change data store

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rogerM

Post by rogerM »

Using 7.2.2 enterprise edition. Have about 1TB in secondary store.
I have the existing install on some old hardware. I have to move the secondary store to a different storage backend. I'm thinking that it might be best/easiest to recreate the environment (minus the actual data) on the new hardware and do a restore from backup. Wouldn't this allow me to not have to deal with moving the 1TB to a new drive?
After the new hardware is up and running, then upgrade to the latest ZCS.
Roger
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

There's a lot of good info in the wiki on this: Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki
If you're on 7.2.2 you should upgrade to the latest 7.2.7 version ASAP though. There have been some security fixes between 7.2.2 and now.
rogerM

Post by rogerM »

I plan on that upgrade.
I'm testing the restore process to the new server. Restoring the full is taking quite a while. I was going to just restore the full, then apply the rollback logs. I'm assuming I could keep the current server live until immediately before I run the last incremenatal?
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

If moving between the same OS version, you can use the rsync method to move. I've done this before successfully:

Ajcody-Notes-Server-Move - Zimbra :: Wiki
The initial rsync will be while the server is running. The final rsync will have to be when the Zimbra service is stopped and you'll change the IP or DNS of the servers when done.