Redirect zimbra URL(s) to another URL(s)

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
izadi60

Post by izadi60 »

Hi.

I have zcs 6.08 opensource on centos 5.5 with multiple domains( subdomain1.domain1.com and subdomain2.domain2.com ) Now I want to redirect subdomain1.domain1.com to subdomain1.domain.com and sunbomain2.domain2.com to subdomain2.domain.com. (I want users type old url (subdomain1.domain1.com) in address bar and it will be redirecting to new one(subdoamin1.domain.com)).I searched forums but did not find any thing to solve it. does zimbra have any solution or command for it? is it possible or not?

Thanks in advance
izadi60

Post by izadi60 »

I have virtual host for both too.
jorgedelacruz.es
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Zimbra Collaboration 8.7

Post by jorgedelacruz.es »

Hi izadi60,

You don't need to touch nothing in Zimbra, just put a CNAME in your old domain and in value the new domain, in the public DNS I mean:
NAME TYPE VALUE

--------------------------------------------------

bar.example.com. CNAME foo.example.com.

foo.example.com. A 192.0.2.23
It is what you are looking for?
Best regards
izadi60

Post by izadi60 »

no this is not what I looking for

I want the url changes in address bar. It is because I bought certificate for one domain and I want another domains redirects to domains (not one domain) that have certificate.

my domains are for example xxx.test.co.com and yy.test.co.com but I bought certificate for "test.com" and now I want to redirect xxx.test.co.com to xxx.test.com and yy.test.co.com to yy.test.com.

and after that set zmtlsctl to redirect mode to redirect to https and all connection will be secure.

I did thing that you mention but url does not change in address bar
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

You may want to look at changing the zimbraPublicServiceHostname.

You may need to change it per-server:

zmprov ms your-server zimbraPublicServiceHostname test.com

and/or per-domain:

zmprov md your-domain zimbraPublicServiceHostname test.com
Note: there are two companion settings, zimbraPublicServiceProtocol (to set to https) and zimbraPublicServicePort (to set to 443).
You should also strongly consider updating your version of Zimbra (to 7.2.7 or 8.0.7). There were some nasty issues affecting the 7.x and 8.x series. I'm not sure if they affected 6, or if 6 is just so past end of life that it isn't receiving advisories.
izadi60

Post by izadi60 »

[quote user="chauvetp"]You may want to look at changing the zimbraPublicServiceHostname.

You may need to change it per-server:

zmprov ms your-server zimbraPublicServiceHostname test.com

and/or per-domain:

zmprov md your-domain zimbraPublicServiceHostname test.com
Note: there are two companion settings, zimbraPublicServiceProtocol (to set to https) and zimbraPublicServicePort (to set to 443).
You should also strongly consider updating your version of Zimbra (to 7.2.7 or 8.0.7). There were some nasty issues affecting the 7.x and 8.x series. I'm not sure if they affected 6, or if 6 is just so past end of life that it isn't receiving advisories.[/QUOTE]

Thanks , but does it affect on receiving mails? I have another domains too.also user@xxx.test.co.com user@yy.test.co.com user@test.com exist. I defined virtual domains for them too.I want nothing changes for users,they type url as before but url redirect to new one with ssl, they login as before,send and receive mails as usual,does this work?

thanks
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

The public service hostname only affects the URL users view - not the email address or domain. For example (from my own experience):

- we have two Zimbra proxy servers (zproxy-a.domain.com and zproxy-b.domain.com). Both have a single DNS name that also points to them (zimbra.domain.com).

- Without setting zimbraPublicServiceHostname, the users would see the two real proxy server names as the url in their browser.

- With settings it, they see zimbra.domain.com.

- Note: using a wildcard SSL certificate (*.domain.com) is recommended for this.
izadi60

Post by izadi60 »

[quote user="chauvetp"]The public service hostname only affects the URL users view - not the email address or domain. For example (from my own experience):

- we have two Zimbra proxy servers (zproxy-a.domain.com and zproxy-b.domain.com). Both have a single DNS name that also points to them (zimbra.domain.com).

- Without setting zimbraPublicServiceHostname, the users would see the two real proxy server names as the url in their browser.

- With settings it, they see zimbra.domain.com.

- Note: using a wildcard SSL certificate (*.domain.com) is recommended for this.[/QUOTE]
Question: Do you have same username on both domains? for example user@a.domain.com and user@b.domain.com. if you have what happened with their login. do they need to user their full usernames?because I used virtual hosts for my domains they do not need to use their full username.

I use wildcard certificate but that is a bit complicated. domains are not same(test.com and test.co.com for example(certificate is bought for *.test.com)
chauvetp
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Post by chauvetp »

[quote user="izadi60"]Question: Do you have same username on both domains? for example user@a.domain.com and user@b.domain.com. if you have what happened with their login. do they need to user their full usernames?because I used virtual hosts for my domains they do not need to use their full username.

I use wildcard certificate but that is a bit complicated. domains are not same(test.com and test.co.com for example(certificate is bought for *.test.com)[/QUOTE]
We have multiple domains (though other than the main domain, there are only a couple dozen users in those domains). Users on anything other than the main domain do need user@sub.domain.com to login though.
All our domains are within the same base domain though (domain1.newpaltz.edu, domain2.newpaltz.edu, etc.) so I'm not sure how well that applies. Sorry for the confusion!