Problem with distribution lists and members with over quota mailbox

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
acasado81

Post by acasado81 »

Hi everybody!
First, I want to congratulate to this forum because is very intersting and helpful. Second, i wish this problem were not repeated in the forum. And third, sorry for my english.
My problem is, that recently I created some distribution lists and i restricted the user that were able to send mail to those distributions lists. But when a permitted user send a mail to a distribution list and there are members with over qouta mailbox, the "Undelivered mail returned to sender" mail sent by mail server is sent to distribution list address. So, the "Undelivered mail returned to sender" mail is sent to all members of the distribution list.
Is normal that behavior? Can i setup the distribution list config to send "Undelivered mail returned to sender" only to the owner of the original mail?
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by mmorse »

Is the sender using a a different reply-to field in a persona or masquerading as the distribution list somehow?
Because yes otherwise that shouldn't happen, this 5.0.18 per profile or have you upgraded since then?
On a 6.0.7 box

user1 sends to:

list with members:

user2
user3

= no bounce to user1 or user3
acasado81

Post by acasado81 »

Hi, Micke!
You were right! Someone has sent to the distribution list a malicious mail from other mail server and he masqueraded the 'mail from' address and introduced the distribution list address. So, the header of the mail shows that the Return-path is the distribution list address.
I have read about that and think that the better behavior I can setup is adding a SPF. Is that correct?
Thanks for your quick response.
barrydegraaff
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: Problem with distribution lists and members with over quota mailbox

Post by barrydegraaff »

The Zeta Alliance crowdfunder `Zimbra Mailinglists` has found a way to set the correct Return-Path on a DL.

Basically what I do is filter the original message with Milter and discard it. Before discarding I take some headers and the body from the mail and place them in a new mail and toss that to the DL with sendmail.

The result is a clean message from the correct domain, and it should be able to pass SPF/DKIM and all that.

Its great, because the final message that goes to the recipients is still processed by Zimbra as a normal DL message.

https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/mai ... ith-Milter

https://github.com/Zimbra-Community/mai ... _milter.py

https://zimbra.org/extend/items/view/zi ... ling-lists